Create an account

or

Thread Solo gen2 output dropouts

• 6 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Solo gen2 output dropouts
Hello!

I've purchased Scarlett Solo gen 2 about a month ago and right off the bat I've been having a certain problem with it.

This is my setup:
Intel i5 4460
8gb Ram
Asrock z97 Anniversary edition
Samsung 250gb SSD
Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit

The problem is as follows:

I'm using FL Studio, the latency recommended for this software is above 12ms (512 samples) set in the Fousrite ASIO control panel. I'm going with 24ms (1024samples) just to be on the safe side and avoid any kind of buffer issues. ASIO playback is perfectly fine with Focusrite ASIO drivers within the DAW.

However, when ASIO drivers are used by DAW, it is impossible to have smooth playback of anything outside of the DAW. Say - a Youtube video or a file in Foobar2000 - the playback from those sources is stuttering and dropping out.
To put it even more simply - I can't watch YT videos or play music (or play any sound for that matter) without the sound dropping out and stuttering when ASIO is in use by a DAW.

Here's what I found out though - this issue occurs only when I set the buffer to 1024 samples in Focusrite ASIO panel. When I switch to anything less the audio dropouts and stuttering in YT videos and other Windows audio playback goes away. It's not much of consolation however because I really need the 24ms (1024samples) buffer size to avoid any cracking in my DAW. So the issue still occurs.

Any idea why Windows audio is affected by the ASIO buffer size only when it's set to 1024 samples? This seems very strange.

I hope I explained myself clearly and that you have a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Shem,

Sorry to hear of the issues!

The behavior mentioned is odd behavior indeed especially since audio from YouTube utilizes the WDM driver and not the ASIO as that of your DAW.

Can you please remove the currently installed driver from Control Panel > Programs and Features, then install this driver (with the unit disconnected and any anti-virus|firewalls disabled): https://sync.focusrite.com/s/eFbUQIyJiX0azly

It will also be ideal to follow our Optimization Guide found here:https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10" rel="ugc noopener" target="_blank"> https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

After doing so if you find that the behavior persists, please open a support ticket with us via the link below so that we can aid you further with more in-depth troubleshooting!

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support
Hi David!

I've followed the steps you provided and unfortunately the issue still persists. I guess I'll have to open the support ticket to sort this thing out. Thanks your help!
Hi Shem,

Sorry to hear that the issue persists.

We have a new beta release driver that may help. Please remove the currently installed driver and install this 4.14 driver: http://beta.focusrite.com/file.php?id=1268

When installing, please make sure the unit is disconnected and any anti-virus software is disabled.

Please let me know how things work out!

Best regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support
Hi David!

Thanks for the link, I've installed the beta driver like you instructed and the issue is still there.

I've talked about this problem with technical support and it's been successfully reproduced. I've been informed that the bug case has been submitted to Focusrite's development team to investigate further, so chances are it'll be resolved in the next driver update. So far the only workaround is to keep using 512buffer size.

Thanks for your help!
Sincerely,
Shem
I just updated to the latest drivers and the issue got worse.

After the update if I set the latency to 1024ms - Windows audio keeps stuttering even after I close the DAW (things went back to normal after closing the DAW on the previous driver).

The only way to fix it is to switch back to 512ms latency which I don't want to because I use CPU heavy plugins, or use 1024latency in the DAW and don't use the Windows Audio at all.

This is very frustrating that this card can't seem to handle Windows audio with 1024 latency setting in ASIO. I'd love to revert back to the previous driver version, but legacy drivers aren't available so now I have to use the beta driver.
I'm really disappointed that this issue still hasn't been resolved.
Did you ever have any luck with this? I just got a 6i6 gen 2 running the latest drivers and i'm having the same problems. Whether recording or just playin g music i'm getting dropouts very often. Sometimes just a blip, sometimes a full gap of 3-4 seconds. This happens every 5 min's or more. I tried going back to windows 7 for some other computer issues and it's much worse. With windows 10 in the brief time i tried it, i had some issues recording with 256 buffers but playback didn't seem to have dropouts. Either way it's not working well for me. I have a MOTU 896mk3 and an old line 6 ux2 which never had dropouts on this same laptop (Lenovo I7 w/24gb ram)

[ Post last edited on 06/20/2017 at 05:36:15 ]