or
Create an account

or

Thread Headphone/Record out Mesa F50 Focusrite Clarett

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Headphone/Record out Mesa F50 Focusrite Clarett
Hi there, I've tried googling but come up with mixed results.

My setup for recording so far has been the Reaper DAW on a custom PC with a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre and Yamaha HS8 monitors. I've got some good tones tweaking free plugins (LePou and Vadim Taranov) and some cab impulses however for clean sounds I am struggling a lot.

Can I get some good clean sounds going from my headphone/record out on the back of the F50 and flicking the silent record switch then monitoring through the computer? I am very happy with my amp, guitar and pedal combos. Any guitar I currently have with a Keeley 4 knob compressor as a clean boost into the front of the amp sounds great. Add some effects post and I imagine it could be very good on the computer?

If this is a good option do I need an instrument cable, audio cable or Y trs cable to make this work? Do I go into one of the 4 inputs on the front or use one (or two) line inputs on the back of the interface (if I use either a Y TRS cable or audio cable)?

Many thanks

Ian
I don't understand you...

What is it you like to do?
Record your instrument and add post effects by using effect padals? Does the result be recorded again?

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

I can't get clean guitar sounds that I like with free vst plugins. My possible solution is

Guitar > Keeley Compressor > Mesa Boogie F50 Amp (silent recording mode with direct headphone/record out) > Focusrite Clarett

My question is whether this is a decent solution, what cables I should use and where to best plug them in?

e.g.

Instrument cable > Front of Clarett's Pre
Instrument cable > Line input on rear of Clarett
TRS cable with one of the two previous options
Y TRS with one of the two options

Or perhaps there's another option?
Hi Ian,

Apologies as I've only just seen this. I can see that the Mesa F50 has both a Mono and Stereo Output so either you can use a TS (Instrument) Cable straight into input 1 on the Clarett or you can use a TRS to dual mono cable into inputs 1 and 2.

Since the send level strength is determined by the Gain and the Master Controls on the amp you will need to experiment with the signal, the safest way to do this would to be to hook this up to one of the Clarett's Mic/Line/Inst (Inputs 1 & 2) and Select a Line Level signal in Focusrite Control (Device Settings Page). I would then adjust the amp accordingly, if you find the signal is far too weak then you can always switch this over to INST. I had a look in the Mesa manual (p. 7) but it doesn't look as though any specific level is specified (http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/F-Series.pdf).

If however you wanted to use it in stereo then you would need a TRS to dual mono cable and to plug these into Input 1 & 2 on the Clarett. Again I would start with line and experiement. Regarding the cabling from Guitar > Keeley Compressor > Mesa Boogie F50 Amp the correct cables to use are regular TS Instrument Cables.

Best regards,

Alex Bull // Focusrite Tech Support

[ Post last edited on 08/16/2017 at 02:45:21 ]