Create an account

or

Thread Comments about the feature article: Vernon Reid Talks Tech

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Comments about the feature article: Vernon Reid Talks Tech
Vernon Reid Talks Tech
When you hear the name Vernon Reid, your first thought is probably of his work with Living Colour, featuring his speedy and inventive guitar playing. But Reid is also an accomplished composer, scoring for films and TV, and he enjoys talking about gear and technology. Audiofanzine recently had a chance to chat with Reid about those subjects and more.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
"There are a lot. I started playing guitar because of hearing Carlos Santana, and then Jimi Hendrix blew my mind. And then Robert Fripp kind of twisted what was left, B.B. King brought me back to life, I was murdered by T-Bone Walker, and then Allan Holdsworth kicked me to the curb. I'd be remiss without saying that John McGlaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra was a huge, huge, huge influence."
"Dave Fuzinski, Reeves Gabrels who played with David Bowie. Lonnie Drayton who's an influence and still a contemporary guy. Alex Skolnick, who's one of my heroes, he's the guitarist with Testament, but is also a really fine jazz guitarists. Ben Monder, who's beyond outstanding. "Captain" Kirk Douglas, guitar player for the Roots, who I think is a fireball, a complete fireball. Those are some of the guys I look onto, and Ben Tyree is another one who I think is fantastic. " VR

Darn Vernon, now i have a better clue why i like you so much! Geez it seems we have some of the same influences, except i started with Mahavishnu first, then Fripp, then eased into the Latin thing as I was coming to learn Espanol( 5 yrs of courses en que). I learned Latin first, @'80. All good, different ways of presenting. Man i gotta tell you, wifey and i listened to sdomething around Biscuits era live show last night and she said, 'hes playing as fast as anyone ive ever heard!' and my response was, " yeah, but he does it with STYLE!" man you impressed me in the late 80's! anyway after all those years im still keepin on creatively, and its nice to have some young friends who want to play and i can help them. im going to finish the songs i wrote on leap year day 2000 after recovering from the accident and the 50- stitiches in the head. its always good to be able to express yourself freely however, but you are one of my inspirations for doing so. i really liked the clean blues solo you did in " Falling" when i saw you here in Tuscon, my wife loved ity and mentioned it. right on, right on. keep up the good work Sir! ( please?) ;) MCR del IVAN ROMANICH
Ok so does Ableton work with SONAR/CAKEWALK/ACID PRO? I mean can I write and transfer files back and forth ( such as .bun files) with Ableton, or is it more exclusive in the coding? i mean really i have libraries of drum samples and transfer back and forth between wav mp3 whatever if neccessary, but for full audio content i want to compose directly with 128/256 bit encoding. so will it work, or if not exactly then can you explain the differences to me? i would appreciate it. thanks Vernon, all Respect! Mike
I could be wrong but I believe Vernon was available for the interview and won't post directly within the forum :mdr:

But to answer your question about .bun files, I believe so long as Ableton or any DAW you're trying to use can support/import OMF files, then you can convert your .bun files to OMF with any Cakewalk Sonar newer than version 2.0. good luck
Quote:
I believe so long as Ableton or any DAW you're trying to use can support/import OMF files, then you can convert your .bun files to OMF with any Cakewalk Sonar newer than version 2.0. good luck

Thanks for your helpful post.