Eventide and Tony Visconti have teamed up to produce T-Verb, a plugin that recreates the reverb technique used on David Bowie's "Heroes" album.
T-Verb is announced as a unique dynamic stereo reverb effect plug-in using a unique technique that Tony Visconti employed in the original Hansa Studios, Berlin, during the recording of David Bowie's Heroes, setting up three microphones in the hall - the first for Bowie to sing directly into, a second positioned about 15 Ft away and the third further back in the hall. Visconti then placed gates on the second and third microphones set to open as Bowie sang louder and louder.
T-verb integrates three completely independent lush reverbs, with compression and selectable polar patterns on microphone 1 and adjustable gates on microphones 2 and 3. It aims at recreating Visconti's iconic effect as a starting point, while adding features that enable new soundscapes and effects. The use of stereo microphones is said to enhance the effect and DAW automation can be used to program the microphones to wander around the hall as the track plays.
- 2 Moveable microphones to adjust reverb size and tone
- Adjustable polar patterns for microphone 1 to adjust the amount of ambient room tone
- Custom Eventide reverb algorithm with EQ, diffusion, and decay control
- Compressor module on microphone 1, just as Visconti had in the original session
- 2 Linkable Post-Reverb Gate modules with control of when the gates close, the speed at which they close, and the length of time they are forced to stay open.
- Console (inspired by the one used in the session and with Visconti’s ‘grease pencil’ labelling) provides post-reverb channel processing for each individual mic and the master
- Room mixer module alters the sound of the room itself with control over decay, diffusion, and frequency attenuation
- Signal inversion buttons to remove (or create) phase cancellation
- Mix Lock allows for scrolling through presets or settings while keeping the wet/dry mix constant
- Complete automation support
Tverb is available for AU, VST and Protools AAX for Mac and PC at a special introductory price of $149 until May 31st, 2016 (a MSRP of $249 will then apply).
More details at www.eventideaudio.com.