Images
1/122
Focusrite iTrack Dock

Thread Focusrite iTrack dock

• 13 replies
  • 11 participants
  • 11 followers
1 Focusrite iTrack dock
Hey dudes ! I have iTrack dock at home and connected with my iPad Air. Mics and instruments inputs are pretty awesome, true clean! I have tested JAMUP, Amplitube, Garageband ,no latency, Killer sound!

After connecting my keyboard by MIDI 5 pin DIN to USB cabel - everything works in garage band, like keyboards organs etc.

Midi USB port doesnt work with active/passive USB HUB (tested),

BUT after connecting my FCB1010 no midi respond... i have using the same USB/MIDI cabel... Any idea why isnt working?
Hi Jakub,

Many thanks for the question and glad you're enjoying the Dock.
The FCB1010 has not been tested with us, however I suspect that it is not working for you because it doesn't seem to be a class compliant piece of equipment (I cannot see that feature listed in its literature).
I will pass this example to our developers though to see if it is in their testing schedule.

Best regards
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Hey simon,

Do you know if the m-audio KeyRig is tested or on the test-list?

I also purchased the itrack dock and everything seems to be working just fine. But I only got one synth... Being the m-audio, which as you can guess isn't working.

Hope to hear from you.

Hi Tuncador,

At this time the M-Audio KeyRig has not been tested.

A list of tested MIDI devices known to work with the iTrack Dock can be found here :
https://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/which-usb-midi-devices-can-i-use-with-the-itrack-dock

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,
David Joyner // Focusrite Technical Support

Quote from Simon:
Hi Jakub,
Many thanks for the question and glad you're enjoying the Dock.
The FCB1010 has not been tested with us, however I suspect that it is not working for you because it doesn't seem to be a class compliant piece of equipment (I cannot see that feature listed in its literature).
I will pass this example to our developers though to see if it is in their testing schedule.

Best regards

HI Simon,

Did you ever get an answer from your devs about this?

I'm in the same position, ie. I have an FCB1010 that I want to use with my iTrack Dock (with JampUp Pro).

Thanks,

R.
Hey guys - same situation here. Bought the iTrack Dock this weekend - LOVE IT ! Unfortunately neither my m-audio oxygen 8 (25) or key studio (49) work with the iTrack Dock, and both are supposedly "class compliant". They both receive power, but nothing is getting thru to any of the iPad apps. I've tried with several synths - same issue. I've swapped USB cables on both controllers - no luck. I use these on my Mac without any problems, so the problem is obviously in the communication with the iTrack, but if they are truly "class compliant", I'm starting to think maybe there is problem with my unit, especially since the Oxygen 8 (25) is listed on the compatibility list as having been verified.

Can anyone from focus rite confirm if there are any known defects with class compliant devices, or if these controllers actually are (not that I don't believe years old marketing stuff from m-audio or anything :-)) ?

Oh - I've also upgraded the iPad to 8.1.3 - still no luck. I need to buy the camera connection kit today (don't have a lightning version for my iPad air 2), and then I'll be able to take the iTrack Dock out of the loop and report what that behavior is (unless somebody has already tried that).

Can't say enough good things so far - love the unit, love making music with the iPad (jamUp pro is a blast and cubasis looks awesome), headphones sound great, direct monitoring is great, external monitors (Tannoy reveal 502) sound awesome ... just need some midi love - my daughter is having way too much fun with this - lol :-)

Bink

Interesting - I just stumbled into this post:

http://seosocially.com/ipad-apple-connection-kit-compatible-midi-keyboard-controllers/

Supposedly the oxygen 8 (2nd or 3rd gen), powered by batteries / usb hub will work - mine still doesn't thru the iTrack dock, with batteries. It's possible I have a version 1 device - have no idea when I got this and what version it is :-)

I'll post later tonight once I test with the CC Kit.

Not looking good for the home team though - might have to pony up more $$$ for a newer midi controller :(((
Bink
quick update - no love for me even with using the USB to lightning adapter. On my oxygen 8, which was powered by batteries, I got a IOUSBVendorSpecificDevice or something close to that - didn't work. I then tried the key studio 49 usb-powered thru the adapter, and got the dreaded "This device uses too much power".

So - my guess is for all unsupported keyboards, we are getting these messages, but maybe the IOTrackDock is hiding that error.

In either event, looks like I'll be spending some dough on a new midi controller that is truly "class compliant" :-)

I can add to this topic, if you go here:
https://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/which-usb-midi-devices-can-i-use-with-the-itrack-dock

You'll notice M-Audio MIDISport Uno, is a support device with the Focusrite iTrack Dock, and it works when I use it with an older midi keyboard, however. It does have one issue, where the note on feature will get stuck, when trying to play a soft synth on the ipad. Any ideas, why?
Good morning,

There are a few reasons why a midi controller will work when connected directly to the iPad with something like a camera connection kit, but will not work when connected to the iTrack Dock. The first is that the midi device that is connected has a built in usb hub, which the camera connection kit can connect to. The Apple camera connection kit is very similar to a usb port on a computer, in that is allows multiple different devices to be connected to it and has the drivers to support that, whereas the dock is only designed to connect to a class compliant usb midi device. Due to the design of the iTrack dock it is not possible for it to connect to a usb hub. The dock can only see the first device that it is connected to, so it will only see the usb hub and will not see any devices that are connected to the hub.

It is also possible that the midi device that is being connected to the dock is not a true class compliant usb midi device. The dock relies on the device being connected to adhere to the usb midi class compliant specification set out by usb.org. If the device falls outside of these specifications due to the manufacturer implementing their own specification, then the dock will not see it as a class compliant device, so will not connect to the device. We believe that the Apple midi driver works around this issue by allowing non class compliant devices to connect with some exceptions in their driver.

Some devices may also present themselves as a class-compliant USB audio device, rather than presenting themselves as class-compliant USB Midi device. As stated previously, the dock can only connect to a device that is a class compliant usb midi device.

The most likely explanation for a midi controller not working with the iTrack dock or through a camera connection kit is that the midi controller being used is not a class compliant midi device. In essence this means that the device will need a driver to work. These controllers will not work with any IOS device and will only work with a PC or Mac system with the appropriate driver installed.

As previously posted, we have a list of usb midi controllers that we have tested and can confirm as working with the iTrack Dock. This list can be found here:

https://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/which-usb-midi-devices-can-i-use-with-the-itrack-dock

If the midi controller that you intend on using is not on this list it means that we have not tested it and cannot confirm compatibility.

I hope the above is helpful, please do let us know if you would like any other information.
Best regards

[ Post last edited on 02/06/2015 at 03:47:13 ]