or
Create an account

or

Thread Advice please on what computer to get for sound design

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 1 follower
1 Advice please on what computer to get for sound design
Hi all. I have done sound design in the past as well as video, but it's been a few years. I'm interested in getting back into sound design and have spent the last week researching options. My current HP laptop is not in great shape and isn't doing well with the programs I've been trying out (Ableton and Reaper). I'm having a lot of latency issues with guitar recording that I can't seem to fix. Wish I had thousands of dollars to drop on a high end macpro but that isn't the case right now, unfortunately. I can probably swing a max of $1200 though of course less would make my wife happier.

I've looked a little at what people are saying about iPads, but never having used one, I'm not sure that's a good idea. I used to have a macbook that I ran GarageBand on that I liked. I'm less familiar with non-Apple options but am not opposed to them. Also not opposed to getting something used or refurbished.

Can you advise me on what I should be looking at?

My goal is to built WAV and MP3 files doing multitrack recording. I want to make finished, composed songs using internal software and external audio. I'm hoping in a few months to have polished up my skills enough to start applying for design jobs with apps.