DAW Pack from Focusrite belonging to the Scarlett 1st Generation series

Public price: $299 incl. VAT

Thread Scarlett 2i2 Studio (1st gen) - USB Power Surge

• 3 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Scarlett 2i2 Studio (1st gen) - USB Power Surge
Hello,

Recently I bought an used audio interface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (1st gen) Studio Bundle.
When I try to connect it to my Windows 10 PC I have the following error:
'Power surge on the USB port' - Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply.'

I have installed the drivers from the manufacturer's website and also I tried different ports and cables and even I reinstalled the USB drivers.

Do you know if I miss some setup step? Or might be something broken with the interface?

Thank you in advance!
I can't believe that immediately upon joining this forum, I'm answering a question (or attempting to) given that I don't really know my butt from a hole in the ground (which is why I joined to ask some questions of my own), but I think I can explain your problem.

The problem is not with the interface or your setup, but exactly what the error message is saying. The 2i2 and other USB interfaces are powered through the USB port. The amount of power available via various USB ports will vary. Some will deliver power even when the power to the computer is off, but the unit is plugged in (good for using the port to run a USB charger).

I'm guessing that you've already solved your problem since your post is almost a month old, but if your PC has more than one USB port, there may be one that provides more power. Mine has 3 ports, and I have an external USB drive that will only work on two of them - the third one doesn't provide enough power to run the drive.

Hope this helps you out.
I am having the same problem. Did you manage to find a solution?
Powered USB hub is the solution....

Because it has been mentioned... The power of the USB port is to low. It can't handle the device. The powered USB hub uses its own power supply ...and therefore releases the current drain from your computer USB port....

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 09/16/2018 at 14:07:05 ]