The Audacity Team has announced the release of Audacity 2.0 for Windows, Mac, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
Audacity 2.0 has new features, developed in the 1.3 series. It is derived from version 1.3.14, but is no longer a Beta version, and has improvements over 1.2.6. It replaces all previous versions. See New Features in 1.3 for changes during the 1.3 series. See also Release Notes for more details.
According to Audacity, some of the major changes in 2.0.0 over 1.2.6 are:
- Many effects significantly improved, especially Equalization, Noise Removal and Normalize. Vocal Remover now included plus GVerb on Windows and Mac. VAMP analysis plug-ins now supported.
- Improved label tracks with Sync-Lock Tracks feature in the Tracks Menu. Multiple clips per track. Tracks and selections can be fully manipulated using the keyboard. Many more keyboard shortcuts.
- New Device Toolbar to manage inputs and outputs. Timer Record feature. New Mixer Board view with per-track VU meters.
- Automatic Crash Recovery in the event of abnormal program termination.
- Fast "On-Demand" import of WAV/AIFF files if read directly from source. FLAC now fully supported. Added support for optional FFmpeg library for import/export of AC3/M4A/WMA and import of audio from video files.