or
Create an account

or
Enlarge
Computer Music for DJ
Audio Interfaces for DJs

Thread Advice on which version of Pro-Tools preferable for a newb?

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Advice on which version of Pro-Tools preferable for a newb?
I'm new to this site and generally interested in music production.  I am an electronic music dj, and want to start tinkering around with music at home.  I am a complete newb to production and most music structure/basics.

I've thought about taking a course in school but it's very expensive so I'd rather just buy equipment and enough gear for a basic home studio and teach myself, with help, of course!

Any advice for those who have experience for someone like me?  Every dj/producer I know and even bigger dj's I've spoken to say that teaching yourself makes you a better producer in the long run, but where do I start?

I am reading on basic music understanding and composition right now, and will be getting Pro-Tools in a few months.  But which version is preferable and user friendly for a newb?

Any advice will be appreciated.  Are there online tutorials that DON'T cost anything?  I can't afford thousands for schooling...

Sarah aka Mixtress Ariadne.
I wouldn't recommend newbies investing in protools.  Its like giving a kid who just turned 16y/o and learned how to drive an expensive car.  Whats the point?  Until you can figure out how to download FREE software to record, edit, sequence and master your tracks, you have no business worrying about protools or its extra features.

I recommend you start out with a good hardware mixer $250-$300.  Also a good microphone $100 and certainly a good audio recording interface for your computer $250-$500.  Download demo and trial versions of software.  Free wav editors.  You'll find a WEALTH of free stuff on the net if you are good at using a search engine.

So you want to be a DJ?  I recommend buying two used Technics 1200s.  I bought mine used 10 years ago and only things i've ever replaced is the needles and light or two.  Get a good receiver unit with expandable audio ins and outs.  How about a good pair of monitor speakers?  Just any two good speakers.

Learn about recording. avoid clipping.  Learn about sequencing.  Learn about BPM if you are going to be DJ'ing.  Invest in records.  Electronic music uses a lot of drum and bass records does it not?  How about a synth module and a midi keyboard controller to go along with it?  Learn about MIDI.  Learn about mastering tracks.  Using low/ high pass filters, normalization, correct amplification, etc.  No one is going to hold your hand and walk you through everything.  My biggest pet peeve is musicians who want to make music but are too lazy to open the manual and learn about their hardware/software and its functions