or
Create an account

or

Thread Headphones vs. Speakers pros and cons

• 14 replies
  • 15 participants
  • 15 followers
1 Headphones vs. Speakers pros and cons
Browsing around i read a couple of starter threads talking about buying speakers.

While I surely think that speakers are important, for a start it is a difficult thing. Just blowing 1000 bucks on a couple of Tannoys or anything like that doesn't just cut it.

With monitoring, it requires good space to mix. With good acoustics. And for some DIY producers/musicians, that might be a difficult thing.

I pretty much do all recording and producing in my only room, which serves as a bedroom and also as "living room".

For starters I would advice headphones over speakers. At least that's not dependent on spacing, location... and not to forget the nightly hours we might spend on producing while we cannot enjoy or hobby to the fullest volume.

And besides, you'd need a couple of speakers just to compare. So headphone and perhaps use computer speakers, ipod earbuds and perhaps even an old boombox, would suffice for any DIY I think.

Thoughts?
Show first post
I personaly use headphones to play games and speakers to listen music
I use both and phonitor ( spl ) to simulate the speaker angles and crosstalk.

That way you hear the smallest of details and hear what you whould hear while listening to speakers.

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 05/03/2015 at 11:45:06 ]

Definitely reference on headphones as well as monitors. People often talk about this subject as if it's an either/or situation, but it's really a matter of not just wanting but needing both. There's also a third element that often goes unmentioned which is acoustic treatment. No matter how awesome your monitors are, they will be affected by the acoustics of your room. Not all of us can afford tons of acoustic treatment panels, so we still need killer headphones.
The information you shared here is very helpful. Thanks for sharing it here.
I have some confusions about the power they consumes? How i can measure the power given to them?
Also how i can select the jack size of the headphones?
Can i adjust their volume and other feature with some modifications into them from their original condition?

https://www.7pcb.com

[ Post last edited on 08/12/2021 at 15:04:48 ]

Quote from StefaGleykin:
The information you shared here is very helpful. Thanks for sharing it here.
I have some confusions about the power they consumes? How i can measure the power given to them?
Also how i can select the jack size of the headphones?
Can i adjust their volume and other feature with some modifications into them from their original condition?

I'm no expert, but I believe you can use a household digital voltmeter, a low output impedance signal generator, and a resistor.

Here's a video on measuring output impedance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=ieAhBejHe2M

But I don't understand, are you trying to build your own headphones? Because I find it much easier to simply read the specs of commercial studio headphones than to measure it myself :-D

Then, just use an adapter to provide flexibility between using a 1/4" or 1/8" jack.

Do you have headphones for which you can't find the specifications? Or are you building DIY headphones?