1/471
Boss ME-50

Multi-Effects for Electric Guitar from Boss belonging to the ME series

Thread Recording overdriven guitar with boss ME-50

• 8 replies
  • 7 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Recording overdriven guitar with boss ME-50
OK, im using the boss me-50 to apply distortion to my guitar sound since i cant afford some of the better plugins for cubase and all the ones it comes with sound crap to me.... but that could be because im not skilled in using them.

using the cubase EQ plugin and also the multiband compressor, i can get an acceptible sound from the line out thanks to the COSM thing, but it does seem slightly flat. Im looking for a sound similar to that of Tool. That is, a thick, distorted, smooth sound but one that is still well defined. a bit like guiness :)

I can get it quite thick, sometimes too distorted (and thus fuzzy where the mids become too harsh) but am having trouble trying to make it sound simply massive.
can you guys offer any advice on anything i can do without a) spending anything or b) spending too much ;/

cheers ^_^
Try this-

Dial the distortion on the Boss unit back until the fizz goes away. Then triple track the guitar and spread the pan out a little. To multiple track, don't just make a copy of the track with the computer. Actually play and record three tracks of the same thing. The minor variations between takes will make it really thick.
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD
sure, sounds like a good plan... beforehand i did try rolling back the gain, but it sounded a bit weedy, so i never bothered doing more than one track... usually id pan two guitars 50% left/right but i shall see how this lower gain setting works out.
Cheers ;D
axeman is right.....so many people want to crank that gain.... its not needed. lower that gain and double tracks. you will be surprized at the final result.
HI the_man361, i'm using Boss ME-50 too, have you ever set up a best metal sound with ME-50? I want to make the sounds like Shadows Fall, Trivium or Killswitch Engage (thrash metal/metalcore sounds), do you know these band? And do you know which websites about setup a patch in Boss ME-50? help me please, thank you so much !

%1$s a écrit HI the_man361, i'm using Boss ME-50 too, have you ever set up a best metal sound with ME-50? I want to make the sounds like Shadows Fall, Trivium or Killswitch Engage (thrash metal/metalcore sounds), do you know these band? And do you know which websites about setup a patch in Boss ME-50? help me please, thank you so much !

your not going to get this type of tone using an effects board or an amp simulator...... this sound comes from a high quality mic'ed tube amp.....
I agree. The tone comes from the amp (or at least the sound coming out of the amp). Good luck trying emulate this with plugins and such.

There are big time bands that do use direct recording and such but they are usually looking for something different than the usual mic'd up sound.

Brandon
I have a me50 and i would like to get a thick metal sound just like metallica(Enter Sandman). What settings would I have to use?

THX

Quote: luu_ht wrote:

HI the_man361, i'm using Boss ME-50 too, have you ever set up a best metal sound with ME-50? I want to make the sounds like Shadows Fall, Trivium or Killswitch Engage (thrash metal/metalcore sounds), do you know these band? And do you know which websites about setup a patch in Boss ME-50? help me please, thank you so much !

your not going to get this type of tone using an effects board or an amp simulator...... this sound comes from a high quality mic'ed tube amp.....

A Peavey 5150 is the standard sort of amp for these sort of bands if that is any help