or
Create an account

or

Thread Possible to monitor DI guitar through guitar amp?

• 3 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Possible to monitor DI guitar through guitar amp?
being as how I don't possess a DI box, I'm trying to find a workaround for recording clean guitars directly into the interface, while routing the signal to the guitarist's amplifier with whatever cranked settings he chooses.

My plan: guitar --> 1/4 to 1/4 instrument cable --> interface --> record clean into a track --> interface unbalanced output --> RCA to 1/4 instrument cable --> cranked guitar amp

Will this setup work properly without damaging the amplifier?
The interface does not has the right impedance for the amp and probably overdrive the amps input.

But i could be wrong about this....
I never tried it that way.

And for recording the gitar directly you need an instrument input. This input has also a different impendance as the line inputs.

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 10/27/2014 at 11:48:04 ]

Quote from holygrail:
being as how I don't possess a DI box, I'm trying to find a workaround for recording clean guitars directly into the interface, while routing the signal to the guitarist's amplifier with whatever cranked settings he chooses.

My plan: guitar --> 1/4 to 1/4 instrument cable --> interface --> record clean into a track --> interface unbalanced output --> RCA to 1/4 instrument cable --> cranked guitar amp

Will this setup work properly without damaging the amplifier?

You're wasting your time considering damaging an amp that probably costs more than the DI box that you'd need. just get a Radial Engineering ProRMP for less than a hundred bucks, that thing will last you forever and will cost less than trying and damaging an amp for a sub-par sound
One way you could do it is with a splitter (for example The JHS Pedals Buffered Splitter https://en.audiofanzine.com/misc-guitar-effect/jhs-pedals/buffered-splitter/) to split the guitar signal. You could send one of the split outputs to the amp (or into a pedal or pedalboard connected to the amp) and the other to an instrument input on your interface.