Add this product to
  • My former gear
  • My current gear
  • My wishlist
Reason Studios Reason 4
Images
1/33
Reason Studios Reason 4

Thread Reason refills not opening in sampler - PLEASE HELP!!

• 5 replies
  • 6 participants
  • 8 followers
1 Reason refills not opening in sampler - PLEASE HELP!!
I'm fairly new to producing.. but having read other forums, I'm not the only one experiencing this type of problem. I purchased 12 refill packs online. After extracting the packs, I tried opening them in NN-19/any other sampler and there are no files that show up in the browser list (even when "all instruments" is selected. I can view the .wave files and even open them on Windows Media Player and they play fine.

Someone on a forum suggested this .. "load your 24 bit wav file into a program such as Audacity and resave it as a wav file before Reason will accept it as a valid wav file". I tried this, but again no files are shown in the browser list.

I have also tried renaming the format of the wav to cmb, just to see if it would open in the sampler. The logo changes to a Reason patch logo but when I try to open the file I receive this message "Bad patch format. The selected file is the wrong format or corrupt"

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks for your time, DJ Bobby D
Make sure the reason refills you are using are for your version of reason i.e. Shreddage Guitar Refill is for version 6+ and up - I opened it in Reason 5 and while I could see the samples I could not see the combinators etc. There is only one place in the Shreddage Literature that calls out what version the refill pack was for.:oo:

Hope this helps!!:non:
Why is it Refill and MANY other issues with Reason always seem to benefit Propellerhead or the Sellers of Refill packs? I find it amazing that it remembers the location and route you use to access your Refills upon first installing Reason. Therefore never allowing a different route of file location from that point on.

Then, lets say you re-install Reason and try to open previously saved Songs and Racks. Well you unfortunately have to locate each and every sound integrated in that piece MANUALLY! Its already so time consuming to build synths, beats, rex, combinators and tweak them to perfection. Then to try and locate and re-tweak everything is IMPOSSIBLE!

Then the so-called "Sequencer". This attempt at digital recording of MIDI is 2nd grade level at best. It records only one single track at a time, and only when hitting keys or controls on your board and/or controller. I remember in the early 90's i had a Roland keyboard, U220 Sound Module, a Roland Sequencer that used 3-1/4' floppy type media, and various other sound modules routed via MIDI. This setup was real-time sequencing!!!!

Then if you can afford to upgrade another couple hundred to RECORD digital audio, in REASON. The effects are limited, sloppy and not Real-Time. I understand this is the major downside with all DAW's with P.C.'s. That, and Latency Correction. Yes Analogue was hard work, and the hiss of tape, etc. was a bummer. But it was there. And it was yours. I wish I could locate a Roland U220 type of MIDI Sound Module and bypass the whole computer other than recording the MIDI tracks into Audacity, I would even record the MIDI as Digital Audio tracks vs this time consuming, uncreative, meloncoly, system. The beats and samples are repetitive, and annoying. Fill-ins, steps, stutters and sampling mainstays are just literally un-attainable. And if your using Ubuntu which is THE BEST O.S. for recording, my built-in ASIO on the M-Audio Delta 24/96 Card is not usable.

This next statement is Moraly wrong, i guess, but Im so thankful i bought a bootleg version of Reason 5 for $15 on Ebay. I would be so much more angry at The Financial robbery, not just my time and effort, with this never-ending disaster, riddled with errors, freezes, lost work, and constant limitations. They make a good tutorial that makes it all sound and look easy. But put there 1,2,3, easy steps into practice. The magic just isn't there...... I thought once I got Reason working with Wine and Play on Linux, and out of the WIndows O.S. it would work much more efficiently. But this Rsdio Veteran, Recording Eng, Musician and Voice Over Producer thinks Reason is a Costly impulse buy for Sample hungry beginners, that will be tossed aside in a month or two.

I remember in 2001 using Sound Foundry's "ACID" to assemble samples in a Multi-Track interface or my Yamaha AN200 Loop Modeling Anologue Synthesiser. Those recordings expressed your vision in the final Digital Mix Down...

Thomas Morey- Tampa, FL./Denver, CO.
are you still using reason as your go-to daw or have you dabbled with others that are less frustrating?
Hi Thomas,

I didn't notice your post earlier, but something you said makes me want to reply:

Quote:
This next statement is Moraly wrong, i guess, but Im so thankful i bought a bootleg version of Reason 5 for $15 on Ebay. I would be so much more angry at The Financial robbery, not just my time and effort, with this never-ending disaster, riddled with errors, freezes, lost work, and constant limitations.

Have you considered that you might not have had all these issues if you bought a legit version rather than a bootleg? You could then iron out problems with Propellerhead support and I'm fairly confident they could have gotten you straightened out. I'm glad you recognize that it's not particularly moral to buy bootleg software, but it's ironic that you mention "Financial Robbery" in relation to yourself getting robbed, when you're talking about buying a bootleg. I apologize for sounding preachy, but buying bootlegs or downloading cracked software only hurts the user in the long run, because it raises the costs for the software developer, who then passes it onto their legitimate customers through price increases or onerous copy protection schemes or putting less money into developing the next version.

My experience with Reason, albeit on a Mac, not the platforms you're using it on, has been a positive one, and I haven't experienced issues like you're describing. Perhaps there's something about the way your OS is interacting with Reason that's causing your problems. Again, without an official version of the software, you're shutting yourself out from getting help from Propellerhead (not to mention updates, which are crucial these days for any DAW), which could likely help you work out your issues.

Best of luck.
Quote from thomasmoreyfl:
Why is it Refill and MANY other issues with Reason always seem to benefit Propellerhead or the Sellers of Refill packs? I find it amazing that it remembers the location and route you use to access your Refills upon first installing Reason. Therefore never allowing a different route of file location from that point on.

Then, lets say you re-install Reason and try to open previously saved Songs and Racks. Well you unfortunately have to locate each and every sound integrated in that piece MANUALLY! Its already so time consuming to build synths, beats, rex, combinators and tweak them to perfection. Then to try and locate and re-tweak everything is IMPOSSIBLE!

Then the so-called "Sequencer". This attempt at digital recording of MIDI is 2nd grade level at best. It records only one single track at a time, and only when hitting keys or controls on your board and/or controller. I remember in the early 90's i had a Roland keyboard, U220 Sound Module, a Roland Sequencer that used 3-1/4' floppy type media, and various other sound modules routed via MIDI. This setup was real-time sequencing!!!!

Then if you can afford to upgrade another couple hundred to RECORD digital audio, in REASON. The effects are limited, sloppy and not Real-Time. I understand this is the major downside with all DAW's with P.C.'s. That, and Latency Correction. Yes Analogue was hard work, and the hiss of tape, etc. was a bummer. But it was there. And it was yours. I wish I could locate a Roland U220 type of MIDI Sound Module and bypass the whole computer other than recording the MIDI tracks into Audacity, I would even record the MIDI as Digital Audio tracks vs this time consuming, uncreative, meloncoly, system. The beats and samples are repetitive, and annoying. Fill-ins, steps, stutters and sampling mainstays are just literally un-attainable. And if your using Ubuntu which is THE BEST O.S. for recording, my built-in ASIO on the M-Audio Delta 24/96 Card is not usable.

This next statement is Moraly wrong, i guess, but Im so thankful i bought a bootleg version of Reason 5 for $15 on Ebay. I would be so much more angry at The Financial robbery, not just my time and effort, with this never-ending disaster, riddled with errors, freezes, lost work, and constant limitations. They make a good tutorial that makes it all sound and look easy. But put there 1,2,3, easy steps into practice. The magic just isn't there...... I thought once I got Reason working with Wine and Play on Linux, and out of the WIndows O.S. it would work much more efficiently. But this Rsdio Veteran, Recording Eng, Musician and Voice Over Producer thinks Reason is a Costly impulse buy for Sample hungry beginners, that will be tossed aside in a month or two.

I remember in 2001 using Sound Foundry's "ACID" to assemble samples in a Multi-Track interface or my Yamaha AN200 Loop Modeling Anologue Synthesiser. Those recordings expressed your vision in the final Digital Mix Down...

Thomas Morey- Tampa, FL./Denver, CO.

Maybe if you were not cheap and buy the full version of Reason you would not have this problem because I never do. That's what happens when you get the pirate version smart guy.