or
Create an account

or

Thread Can you play an electronic drumset in real-time with EZdrummer, Superior Drummer, etc?

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Can you play an electronic drumset in real-time with EZdrummer, Superior Drummer, etc?
Have any of you had a go at this? If so, do you need a very powerful laptop and external interface? Does the drumkit have to be a particular, MIDI based drumkit?

I don't know much about audio production, and midi is meaningless to me, but I have an electronic drumkit with a USB port and tested out EZdrummer at a friends and I'd really like to be able to combine the two
I've been able to do so before on my dual core mac with 4 gigs of ram, pairing addictive drums with garageband. You need to tweak it to truly make it sound live but it's definitely doable.

I suggest using your own PA in order to separate the rums from everything else as it sounds more natural that way (to my ears anyway). did you have any questions? where are you having trouble?
Quote from trickymix:
I suggest using your own PA in order to separate the rums from everything else as it sounds more natural that way (to my ears anyway). did you have any questions? where are you having trouble?

Well I have a windows laptop, dualcore i5 2.5Ghz processor with 4 gigs of ram. Would you think that'll suffice with ASIO drivers or would the latency be unbarable? Obviously playing drums real-time using ezdrummer will be utterly useless if I run into too many latency problems.

I was wondering if maybe I can use my VoiceLive 2 which has around 3ms latency with ASIO, and get that to work via MIDI thru. Not exactly what it was intended for but just a thought