Create an account

or

Thread Focusrite scarlet solo (2nd gen) intermittent popping crackle

• 48 replies
  • 26 participants
  • 26 followers
1 Focusrite scarlet solo (2nd gen) intermittent popping crackle
Hi guys,

I have spent the last few weeks trying to fix this issue but its hard to troubleshoot due to it being intermittent and unable to identify what the cause is. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, as I feel a little out of my depth.

I bought a Rode NT1A Microphone with a Focusrite Scarlet Solo (2nd gen).

Sounded pretty crisp to start but for some reason starts making popping and crackling sounds, and at times just becomes completely inaudible with robotic noises coming from it. Unplugging and plugging back in from the back of scarlet seems to be a temp fix.

I have tried all USB ports in computer including USB 3.0 which don't appear to fix the issue. I have also insured that USB root hubs are not set to power saver mode.

System specs below:
Operating system: Windows 8 pro 64-bit
Chip type: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960
16g RAM
proccessor: i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz

I followed these instructions for optimisation for windows 8.

https://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/optimising-your-pc-for-audio-on-windows-8

I am trying to use the program called reaper to run the audio through however the crackling appears to happen irrespective of using reaper so i guess thats handy to know.

Unsure of where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated, understanding that this topic has been created several times.
Show first post
Just to let you know, the problem is still there with the newest driver. The 3.2.2 driver is working without crackle / distortion and I m using it since 2 years. In case a Focusrite member see this: Please talk with you development to rework this driver or at least put your 3.2.2 driver public again.
Thank you!
I'm running Windows 10, with driver version 4.36.0.400 installed. I have similar issues.
Would you recommend that I try installing driver version 3.2.2 as well, or will that not work with Windows 10?
If you do recommend I try ver. 3.2.2, can you please let me know where I can download it from?

Thanks!
I'm running Windows 10 as well. You can't download it because it's not offical available anymore. They removed it 2 years ago from the beta focusrite site. Seems that they want to force all Solo 2nd Gen users to use the 4.36 driver.
I will PM you.
Im also running into serious crackling issues if someone could please PM me a link? ive been trying to fix this for months!
Same issue for me. I'm on windows 10. Could I get a link as well?
Same issues here as well. Any way someone could PM me a link please to the 3.2.2 drivers? Thanks!
I've had the same problem for over a year with my 2i2.

Could someone please DM me the link?

Thank you.
I will give it a try (3.2.2 driver):

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArSPT-qNarAnpBxaud86IccfPuTH

[ Post last edited on 05/27/2019 at 21:29:47 ]

I want to chime in on this because this forum helped me figure out a solution.

My problem wasn't with a driver (I have a first gen 2i2) but rather with the Network Interface Card (NIC), the hardware that allows my PC to connect to the internet

Apparently it was causing the CPU to operate in a weird way and this, in turn, was affecting my focusrite much in the same way that everyone describes here.

As soon as I disabled the NIC in my settings, the problem of crackling audio disappeared. After putting in a new NIC, I haven't had the problem since.

Hope this helps anyone

[ Post last edited on 04/09/2019 at 14:59:24 ]

Brian Williams, the NIC you are talking about, is it the one is integrated to the mother board ? Or this is a physical external card ?