Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting

• 42 replies
  • 27 participants
  • 27 followers
1 Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting
Hey,

This problem has been doing my head in for a year now and now that I work as a professional I just have to get this fixed:

System:

Windows 8.1 64bit,
Scarlett 2i2 (Drivers 3.1.10) with Behringer Truth monitors plugged

What happens is that I hear a loud pop from my speakers followed by my 1 & 2 input knob lights flashing. Also when this happens the device briefly disappears from my Windows audio devices menu for a short while. The problem is inconsistent and can happen 1-10 times in a minute, once in an hour or I can go a day without it happening.

Also 1 problem I'd appreciate if someone can answer: On Pro Tools 11 when I choose Scarlett to use ASIO4ALL drivers it crashes Pro Tools. What gives?

Cheers for any help!

EDIT: It's now clear that the Ethernet cable is the cause. However I don't know how to solve this

[ Post last edited on 01/28/2015 at 02:43:56 ]

Show first post
Hello there, I have exactly the same problem here with my Scarlett 2i2 and Windows 8.1
My PC is already optimized and it's running with AMD A8 chipset, 4GB RAM.
Does anyone have a solution for this? The fact is that sometimes I can record and mix for hours without any problem and then the device disconnects all of sudden and I have to restart my computer. I tried to use every USB port and nothing changed. On other occasions it happens at least two or three times in a row...and it's pretty frustrating! Maybe I have to wait for a bug fix to be released??

Hi Luca,

You mention that you have optimised your PC, but can you confirm that you have run through the power management setup guide on the previous page of this thread? Specifically the USB port power management?
If so, can you tell me what kinda of session you're working on (how many channels? heavy plugin usage etc?), as well as what buffer size you work at?

You may also wish to try out latest beta version of our driver available here:
http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/focusrite_usb2_drivers/

Please retry all of your USB ports with this different driver to see if the same issue occurs.

Dropouts are also often caused by DPC latency, an interrupt request by another driver/hardware combo that is preventing your PC from streaming audio in real time. To check if this is indeed the issue, Could you download the DPC latency checker from this website, then send me a screen shot of the graph once opened for a minute or so while playing audio out at the same time? :

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon (Win 8)

If this is mainly happening when recording, as opposed to playback, then please run the software while running your DAW at the same time.

Let me know how you get on.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Hello Simon,
I set everything just as you explained in the power management setup guide and I have the latest drivers. The problem still persists but it seems that now it's enough to close and re-open cubase to start the driver again. Btw, I attached a screenshot of the DPC latency test. It seems that I need to update my BIOS but I'm pretty sure that I have the latest version. Also, it says that I have to disable CPU throttling settings..do I have to proceed??

Picture here: https://postimg.org/image/7rx81d3n1/

Thank you in advance.

Luca
Hi Luca,

Yes disabling CPU throttling will help.
I would recommend double-checking if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard, as well as any other updates for your USB chipset and any other part of your motherboard.
I would also recommend checking for driver updates for your graphics card, wifi/network adapters, and any other hardware on your computer. This is because driver clashes will often cause the DPC test to show how yours does.

Please can you check to see if you're on the latest USB driver that we have released via our beta site, version 3.2.1:

http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/focusrite_usb2_drivers/

Let me know how you get on.

Simon // Focusrite Techinical Support
Hello.

I have a Scarlett 2i4, not 2i2, but I am getting the same issues as the original poster and have been for about the past 8-9 months. The unit is just over a year old.

My specs are:

HP Pavilion AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.80GHz 64-bit
8GB of RAM
Windows 7 Home SP2

My current drivers for the Scarlett are 2.5.128.1. I have been reading the specs on the beta drivers listed at http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/focusrite_usb2_drivers/ but don't know if they will be compatible with my system or not.

I have tried all 2.0 USB ports and the issue still continues. I haven't tested the interface on another PC as of yet, but plan on trying.

I have configured the power saving options and none are checked at all. Even after reboot. I followed this guide to shut them off permanently - http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/11/fix-usb-root-hub-power-management-issue-windows-7/ - So this can't be the issue.

Today the issue is much, much worse than usual. The volume input monitors on the unit light up red at random, with the unit volume going mute as a result. This is happening when there is nothing plugged in, nor is there any audio playing. It is literally random. I can go a week without this happening, or 5 minutes.

At this point I can't use my Scarlett at all, as it shuts off on me while playing guitar or even streaming You Tube. I paid $240+tax CAD for this unit and to not be able to use it is quite frustrating.

Please help, someone. If not I will have to go back to my trusty Delta 2496 card. Which would suck because I really thought I was upgrading when moving to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Thank you.

[ Post last edited on 10/24/2015 at 14:05:10 ]

I'm about to make my own post on my own issues, but figured I'd toss my hat into this thread as well. I recently bought a Scarlett Solo and am having very similar issues. HOWEVER, I only bought the Scarlett Solo because previously I owned a Behringer Xenyx 302usb mixer and it was shutting down in the middle of use at seeming random as well. I had hoped that changing mixers/preamp/audio interface would fix my issue but it's the same. I figure that if this is the same problem, then the fact that it's happened to me while using two completely different brands could help you guys out with a little more info.

My other difference is that I run Windows 7 (64 bit) and when mine stops working I don't get any warnings about USB devices being disconnected and the device never seems to disappear from my playback/recording devices. Additionally it never starts working on its own, I have to unplug/replug the USB to get it working again.

More info: I've noticed that it happens about 75% of the time that a UAC message pops up, my system has a change, during program installation, etc. It also happens at random during use, obviously.

For comparison, perhaps one of the other posters has a similar hardware setup to me:
  • Windows 7 64b OS
  • Nvidia GeForce 970, brand new (and before that, an AMD Radeon 7950)
  • Intel i5-3470 running at @3.20ghz
  • Gigabyte z79 Sabertooth Motherboard
  • Audio Technica BPHS1 Headset
  • Coolermaster 1000w PSU
  • 16gb RAM

[ Post last edited on 12/25/2015 at 00:41:21 ]

Same problem with my Mac and the 2i4. I've tried switching USB cables and everything listed. the Potential of it happening while performing live makes the unit pretty useless. It's evident to me that it is a design flaw and not a issue with the way we have our preferences set on our respective computers. I have a 2014 Macbook Pro with 8 GB ram.

I am wondering if Focusrite can provide any type of solution for this. If they are able to come up with a fix by changing preferences that would be great. I don't know if that is possible however.
Just to add one to the number of folks reporting this problem...
I use Sonar Platinum on a Win8.1 Pro 64-bit machine. Scarlett is plugged into a USB2 port on the motherboard.
It all worked beautifully for about two weeks, then did basically the same thing that others have already described. If I try to play a Sonar project, there's a click/pop and Sonar crashes.
If I change the output to use my system's built-in audio, it plays fine.
Switch back to the Scarlett, and it crashes.
I've implemented all the suggestions I've seen about this problem, but no luck so far.
Also, after the crash happens, the Scarlett is not recognized as a USB device anymore. If I unplug/replug it, I get "USB device not recognized. The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned..."
If I reboot, the Scarlett is recognized again -- until the first time I try to play something through it in Sonar. Then click/pop! and Sonar crashes, and the Scarlett disappears as a USB device.
If I plug SOMETHING ELSE (like an external disk drive) into that same USB2 port, it works fine. Only the Scarlett is not recognized.
Yet More Info: In Device Manager, I see an "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" for the port where the Scarlett is plugged in. I unplug the Scarlett and plug in something else (a disk drive), and Device Manager is happy with what got plugged in.
====================
FIXED!
I don't know why this root-cause problem happened, but apparently an attempt to "update the firmware" on Scarlett in a previous session failed, and that's at least part of what caused the cascading problems with the Scarlett. I just spent about half an hour on the phone with David Joyner at Focusrite's technical support - thanks for the contact info, Tunerman.
David talked me through a whole bunch of steps, including going to some "places" on my computer where I'd never been before (and some dark places where I HAD been before)... we uninstalled/reinstalled drivers (again), made other tweaks that I probably couldn't reproduce now, then successfully did a firmware update on the Scarlett, and now... IT WORKS!!!
I'm creating a System Restore Point in Windows right now...

[ Post last edited on 02/16/2016 at 14:17:27 ]

I found this thread via Google as I had the same problem with my Focusrite Solo. Plugging in a Guitar and the unit would pop and constantly turn on-and-off like it was resetting. After hours of testing I managed to fix the problem for me so I thought I'd create an account here and share my findings. Hopefully it will be of some use to somebody.

What I found is that the disconnecting/popping would only happen when a device was plugged in. I tried different cables/usb cables, updated drives, changed all the settings as suggested but no solution.

Then I noticed that if I plugged in a guitar directly, the popping and disconnecting stopped. Previously the guitar was plugged into an looper pedal (which had a number of effects) then went into the Solo.

So then I went through and removed each pedal to perhaps find that one was causing issues, they all did the same thing.

The I wondered if it might be a power supply issue, I couldn't find any 9v batteries to power a test pedal so I simply tried a different 9v power supply.

And then it worked! simply changing the 9v power supply that was powering all my pedals FIXED the problem. Reverting back to the original power supply causes the same issue.

I don't know how this could happen unless somehow the old power-supply was causing some sort of interference and making the Solo unit disconnect.

I don't know, maybe it's something that others could try.
Hi Simon,

I have the same problem, it´s getting me crazy! I was using my Scarlett 2i2 without problems on my Sony Vaio laptop. I just bought a new desktop and when I try to use it the problems began.

When I connect the device, it works fine, you can hear sound, but unexpectedly and randomly it begins to popping, clipping and restarting.

My specs are:

Windows 10 64 Bits
HP Pavilion AMD A10 1.8Ghz
Radeon R6
8 GB RAM

I´m currently using 2.5.1 drivers, I set everything just as you explained in the power management setup guide and I have the latest drivers.

:??: