Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting

• 42 replies
  • 27 participants
  • 27 followers
1 Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting
Hey,

This problem has been doing my head in for a year now and now that I work as a professional I just have to get this fixed:

System:

Windows 8.1 64bit,
Scarlett 2i2 (Drivers 3.1.10) with Behringer Truth monitors plugged

What happens is that I hear a loud pop from my speakers followed by my 1 & 2 input knob lights flashing. Also when this happens the device briefly disappears from my Windows audio devices menu for a short while. The problem is inconsistent and can happen 1-10 times in a minute, once in an hour or I can go a day without it happening.

Also 1 problem I'd appreciate if someone can answer: On Pro Tools 11 when I choose Scarlett to use ASIO4ALL drivers it crashes Pro Tools. What gives?

Cheers for any help!

EDIT: It's now clear that the Ethernet cable is the cause. However I don't know how to solve this

[ Post last edited on 01/28/2015 at 02:43:56 ]

Show first post
Hi, i have this card about 2 months and have excatly the same problem ( it happens random or mostly on youtube or when i close a video game or some other program which involves sound ). Its a little bit annoying but the greater concern for me is if this damages the sound card somehow. i have tried all the usb ports , modified power settings but the problem still persists. Hope to see a solution in the future .

Windows 8 64bit
cpu: apu a8-7600 amd
mobo: a88x-plus asus
I have the same issue with my 2:2 as the OP. Is there a know solution now?
It's annoying. It happens also when I am playing games or when the PC is idle.
My PC is running Windows 10
I've been researching a similar issue I've been having so thought I would jump on the band wagon here on the off chance someone has some words of wisdom. Mine is for the 2i4 and for a mac OS X Yosemite. I'm using Logic Pro X. (or currently Logic Pro Woe)

Out of nowhere, my monitors made a loud pop, whilst working in a project and the sound disappeared (my stomach dropped). I could also not play anything on YouTube, Soundcloud etc etc. The sound was either completely messed up or nothing at all...

I rebooted my laptop and everything was back to normal, then it happened again a few times. I then disconnected the interface and tested it out using my internal audio and there was sound. When working from my laptop (using headphones) I've not had the problem (yet) anyway. Which makes me think it could be the Scarlett 2i4...

I had assumed it was to do with the project I was working in, not necessarily bigger than anything else I've done but still using quite a few different plugins, including PLAY which never runs that smoothly for me (especially when using Hollywood Brass). I'm also using it alongside Kontakt and Best Service Engine. I figured I would need to start a process of elimination to see who the culprit is (my guess was PLAY), however, it never happens in the same spot and sometimes not for ages, so I could be there all day narrowing it down.

I was working in a different project today, to see if the same thing would happen and everything was going smoothly for hours. I switched over to YouTube just to watch a video someone recommended and lo and behold, the sound was totally messed up. I went back to my project and the sound was GONE. Very weird considering usually it starts with a POP whilst I'm working and THEN other sound doesn't work. This time, I was working and everything was OK until I played that Youtube video (there was no pop)

To test it again, I went into my audio preferences and just hit a button on and off (to reset it instead of restarting the whole thing) and tested it again. Sound was playing and back to normal, then I went to YouTube, the sound was still bad and once again had triggered my project into silence (there was no pop)

SO basically, not sure if it's to do with the projects or not, or a plugin that is corrupting/triggering stuff to cut out. Or quite potentially and after reading other peoples issues, could really be the audio interface :(

My set up is..

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
Processor - 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
499 GB System SSD
1 TB Data SSD

Scarlett 2i4
2 x 24 inch Acer Monitors
Midi piano
Microphone

[ Post last edited on 08/30/2016 at 11:56:14 ]

I have found a solution for my situation (windows 10):

I changed 2 things and the issue didn’t appear for a few days now:

1. I disabled Sound Device on MoBo (again, I did this before but for some reason it was enabled again)
2. In windows 10 power settings I disabled USB Selective Suspense
Same exact problem.

I also have a unique addition to this thread. While in a DAW either FL Studio or Ableton, sometimes while playing audio it just stops and all you hear is a very high pitched tone that is quite loud and you can't get rid of it by pressing the stop button in your DAW, you have to exit for it to end. It has to be a firmware or hardware glitch. It only happens on the Scarlett and not with any other product.

I have 8 gigs ram, 4.20 ghz Vishera CPU and 990FX Sabertooth Mobo.

Everything is quality in terms of my hardware.

What gives?

I believe Focusrite masks their poor products with customer support. I see them everywhere in all forums, but they give you generic bullsh*t responses like Microsoft does when you post in their forums. You've tried everything they say and it still doesnt work because they themselves have no clue how to fix their problem.

They just sell you the illusion that their products are great. When people have a constant reoccurring issue on multiple systems it's not the users fault! Fix your sh*t!

You - have a problem, tell focusrite
Focusrite - what? where? I don't see anything, turn your PC on and off, did you check the power cable, you must be an idiot since you didn't optimize your PC

Just a mask... a facade for quality when the actual problem lies deep down in focusrite's firmware/hardware

It makes sense that they play dumb when you say you've got a problem. They've got products to SELL.

Still it's a decent product if you are on a budget & they could not give a rat's @$$ if you happen to have a problem so I will give them that, but still glitchy as f*. What's worse, a company that ignores their customers problems entirely, selling a product as is, and doing it with open awareness, or a company that pretends to offer solutions solely for PR purposes, but don't actually end up solving anything?

In my mind they are nearly the same. One is actually worse because they mislead the customer into thinking that the problem actually lies with them and not the product.

Or maybe Focusrite is just too blind and naive to admit they've got a freaking problem and they're products don't match up to the quality they promise.

[ Post last edited on 12/11/2016 at 13:27:29 ]

Hi Ace1234,

Very sorry to hear about your issues with your unit.

I can see that this experience has made you quite upset and for that I would like to personally apologize as you should not be experiencing these issues.

Our products are designed with quality in mind, and we in no way strive to avoid helping our customers remain creative by having a working product.

I hope that my response does not seem to be generic as it is not a canned response in any capacity. I (along with the rest of our technical support team) are very interested in helping you get this issue resolved!

Have you opened a support ticket with us?

If you have, would you mind providing me with the ticket number so that I can take a look at your ticket personally so that I can aid in finding a lasting solution for you?

If you have not opened a ticket with us, please do so here: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

I can personally promise that we will work with you to find a solution and get you back to recording without issues.

Best regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support
Quote from David_Focusrite:
Hi Ace1234,

Very sorry to hear about your issues with your unit.

I can see that this experience has made you quite upset and for that I would like to personally apologize as you should not be experiencing these issues.

Our products are designed with quality in mind, and we in no way strive to avoid helping our customers remain creative by having a working product.

I hope that my response does not seem to be generic as it is not a canned response in any capacity. I (along with the rest of our technical support team) are very interested in helping you get this issue resolved!

Have you opened a support ticket with us?

If you have, would you mind providing me with the ticket number so that I can take a look at your ticket personally so that I can aid in finding a lasting solution for you?

If you have not opened a ticket with us, please do so here: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

I can personally promise that we will work with you to find a solution and get you back to recording without issues.

Best regards,

I'd have to agree with the guy who was complaining.

I have a scarlett 212 running on Windows 7 and it randomly refreshes itself by disconnecting and reconnecting immediately. Very annoying if you are chilling watching a movie and then you have to get off your ass every 10 mins because this interface cannot keep a simple connection. Very annoying if you are mixing and constantly have to go into sound options to refresh the soundcard. In the past sometimes it would crackle when simply playing windows media player depending on which driver I had installed, which was a separate problem.

And yes my Windows 7 is optimised via your guides. And yes I have opened numerous tickets. And yes I have tried multiple different USB ports/USB cable. Yes I have tried multiple different drivers your company recommended me at different times. And yes my PC is an i7 with very solid hardware. Something if wrong with your product. Fix it. Patch it. When was the last time you released a driver update for these problems for Windows 7 users? You've had the same crappy driver up on your website for 3 years. Update it. Fix the problem.

[ Post last edited on 01/23/2017 at 11:10:28 ]

Hi guys,

had the same issue on my Scarlett 2i4, running on Win 10, 64 bit.

It seemed to completely random disconnect, making a popping sound, then becoming silent...sometimes it crashed the system, sometimes not. Sometimes the Scarlett was reconnecting instantly bringing back sound, sometimes not. Not even using it on DAW, just for playing music, videogames etc...

The solution that worked for me:
Try to connect the Scarlett via a powered USB-hub. Could not believe thats the reason but since then it did not occur for about 5 months....and hopefully it won't in future. So give that a try!
Hi Nylorap,

Thank you for posting this feedback about what has worked for you!

Can you tell me if your Scarlett 2i4 is a 1st or 2nd Gen unit?

It will also be ideal to know what driver version you currently have installed as well as which USB hub you are currently using?

I would like to make a note of this feedback as it will be very beneficial to know.

Best regards,
Hi David,

My Scarlett 2i4 is a 1st Gen unit.
Iam currently using the 3.2.2.292 Beta Driver, together with an powered USB-3.0.-Hub by EasyAcc

best regards