Electro-Harmonix The Silencer
Images The Silencer
Videos Electro-Harmonix The Silencer
Audio files The Silencer
Manuals and other files The Silencer
It does the job - for a lesser price!
I use several stompboxes, the noisiest of them being the ProCo Rat, Boss CS-3, Boss PH-2, Boss OD-2, and the Silencer really does the job when using the appropriate routing for the FX loop.
The pedal comes with a 9V battery, though having renounced to using batteries for ages now I use it with a Thomann supply. Controls are very efficient:
- the Thresh[old] knob sets the signal level necessary to open the noise gate and allow the signal through
- the Reduction knob controls the amount of signal reduction, ranging from -70 to +4 dB
- the Release knob controls how fast the envelope signal closes down after the incoming signal falls under the threshold. In a nutshell, this setting will allow you to tell the box when it is able to cut the signal again when you’ve finished playing the last note of your musical phrase. That speed can be set anywhere from 8 milliseconds to 4 full seconds.
Unlike Boss (and many others), the manual doesn’t feature a routing diagram which may disturb beginners, so if need be I advise you to have a look at the Boss’s manual (available here, see on page 2: http://lib.roland.co.jp/manual/en/dl_06-10493/NS-2_e.pdf ) as the logic behind it is exactly the same as with the Electro Harmonix Silencer: you plug the guitar to the Input, the amp to the Output, get the signal out from the Send to the first pedal in the effect chain to be processed and get it back in plugging the output of the last pedal in that chain to the Return plug. Not so difficult, yet a connection schema would have been useful to those who don’t know how to use such a setup.
I haven’t tried the ISP Decimator G-String, but it costs 275€ (vs. 59 for the Silencer) so clearly the Silencer is unbeatable as to its value-for-money.
Electro-Harmonix The Silencer tech. sheet
- Model:The Silencer
- Category:Noise Gates for Guitar
- Added in our database on: 07/10/2015
We have no technical specifications for this product
but your help will be much welcomed
News The Silencer
Buy new Electro-Harmonix The Silencer
Competing Noise Gates for Guitar
Other Electro-Harmonix noise Gates for Guitar
Other categories in Dynamic or volume pedals
Other names: thesilencer, the silencer 2015, thesilencer 2015, thesilencer2015, the silencer2015, the silencer 20 15, thesilencer 20 15, thesilencer20 15, the silencer20 15