Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Recording drums — Overheads and the ORTF technique

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 [Getting started] Recording drums — Overheads and the ORTF technique
Recording drums — Overheads and the ORTF technique
This week we'll focus on, in my opinion, the most important track when it comes to recording drums: overheads.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
Interesting article. I always thought (my mistake for "always" thinking) that you wanted the drum kit panning to reflect what the listener would hear - I guess that is appropriate for only some genres though. I'm curious: what kind of image does one get if using this ORTF technique with a close mic on the snare, for example, but panned slightly more to the center? Does it sound like a wide or big drum, or does it have a poor spatial image?

Also, in the picture of the drummer, what is that "thing" in front of the kick drum?

Thanks
Clarification to the above post: what I meant to say is what does it sound like using the ORFT technique with a close mic on the snare with the close mic snare drum panned slightly more to the center?
Hi Wally !

Well, answers to your questions will be published in one of the following articles. Thanks for your patience :bravo: