Create an account

or

Thread Comments about the feature article: Control Your Mix with Subgroups

• 6 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Comments about the feature article: Control Your Mix with Subgroups
Control Your Mix with Subgroups
One easy way to improve your mixing efficiency is to use the flexible routing capabilities in your DAW's mixer to create subgroups. Also referred to as "submixes," they let you create custom subsets of the tracks in your session, to which you can apply effects, add automation and change the volume, among other functions.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
Guess I need to put down the doob & concentrate a little . . . this could be a good thing, I just need to concentrate. You guys come up with the BEST short-cuts! You really make life easier & studio-work gets better results with every new tip.
Thanks, everybody @ AudioFanZine !!

Jersey Danny

You're welcome! Thanks for the kind words, and good luck with your recording projects.
Just a bit of confusion over this sentence:
" In either case, you want to assign the same bus as you use as the output of the tracks your subgrouping, to the input of the aux track."
Why the aux track again? Isn't the subgroup a track of its own?
-Thnx,
VinnyS

Sorry if that wasn't clear. What I was saying there was that you need to make sure that the outputs of the channels you want to send to the subgroup are set to the same bus as you set for the input of the aux track you're using for your subgroup channel. So if you were making a subgroup of all your drum tracks, you would set all their outputs to an unused stereo bus. Next you'd create an aux track and set it's input to that same bus. That way, the audio flowing out of the drum tracks will go through the bus and into the subgroup channel.
Aha! The bus is the PATH to a destination (aux) TRACK! And out to Master from there.
Gotcha! -VinnyS
Exactly!