1/1060
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff PI

Fuzz pedal from Electro-Harmonix belonging to the Big Muff series

Thread Question about EHX Big Muff?

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Question about EHX Big Muff?
All right, so I've been looking for a fuzz pedal that own't muddy up the highs/mids and was considering the big muff. My concern is, on the EHX website, it's described as an overdrive, NOT a fuzz....help me?
Are you sure you weren't browsing the germanium 4 big muff? That, in fact, is an overdrive pedal under the same name for marketing purposes (like EHX does with the Electric Mistress, for example). The standard big muff pi is, indeed, a fuzz. Mind you, often times the thin line between fuzz and distortion is, well, distorted :lol:

Quote from puppetmaster:
Are you sure you weren't browsing the germanium 4 big muff? That, in fact, is an overdrive pedal under the same name for marketing purposes (like EHX does with the Electric Mistress, for example). The standard big muff pi is, indeed, a fuzz. Mind you, often times the thin line between fuzz and distortion is, well, distorted :lol:

Definitely not the germanium, I was on this page: http://www.electroharmonix.com/products/big-muff-pi

1903174.jpg
it's common knowledge that the EHX Big Muff sucks out your mids. Not sure if that's what you mean by 'muddy up' but it certainly changes them. If you want tone similar to the muff but w/o sacrificing your mids, try the Earthquaker Hoof. It's pretty much a Muff twin but with a mids knob. It was based on the russian green Muff and is germanium and silicon instead of just silicon (which I personally preffer).

It's a bit more versatile as it can both sound like a bit of a dirtier muff by scooping the mids, or sound totally different if you mess with the additional mids knob.

It would help to know what kind of tone you're after to be able to help ya out. Maybe it's not even a Big Muff that you need, after all?