Public price: free
8/10

Thread Comments about the review: Worth the Wait

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Comments about the review: Worth the Wait
Worth the Wait
Studio One users have been awaiting a major upgrade for quite some time. Studio One 3 is the first such update since October of 2011, when Studio One 2 hit the market. PreSonus has added new instruments, new effects, new graphics, new ways to arrange songs, and quite a bit more, so lets see what version 3.01 has to offer.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
I' m sorry to post it here. I know it is not only about this daw but every daw.
Why don't give the programmers the user a choice?
Why on earth is every daw go black / dark scenes. I think it is frustrating and even more frustrating that at most d.a.w.s don't allow you to change it.

Cubase, nuendo,mixbus all are black and don't allow you to change the colors in the users needs. Well almost everyone. It seems you can change color settings on this one.

Personally i hate black and that is why i didn't update my daw yet.

Again i'm sorry for my post but i hope some day somebody notice it and give some freedom back to the users.

However this program looks nice. I personally worked with the silver one.
It was a demo i got with a piece of hardware. Like you mentioned before these where not complete but ran smoothly.
How is this version doing? Is it just as smoothly as before?

Sometimes i ask my self the question if the program makers not over doing things. Most programs like these have too much to offer and restrict the creativity of the musisians if you know what i mean. And often the programs don't allow things you could have done in the analog days ( routing internally)

I think that a lot of audiofanzine users use this program and i'm not attacking them personally but i wish a program would rise from the horizon based on the user and not on what is " hot " or at least what " they think is hot "

Again sorry for this.... I just had to say it.....

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Hi Angelie,
Quote:
I' m sorry to post it here. I know it is not only about this daw but every daw.
Why don't give the programmers the user a choice?

They allow you to adjust the color parameters, and you can change the look pretty substantially. You can't make it silver again, but you can make it a lot lighter and more colorful, if you want.
Quote:
How is this version doing? Is it just as smoothly as before?

Yes, it runs very smoothly.
Quote:
Sometimes i ask my self the question if the program makers not over doing things. Most programs like these have too much to offer and restrict the creativity of the musisians if you know what i mean. And often the programs don't allow things you could have done in the analog days ( routing internally)

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that many DAWs go overboard with their features, which can sometimes be overwhelming for the user. However, it's a very competitive marketplace, and if a DAW doesn't keep up, it will not survive, so I understand the need to add a lot when a major update is released.
Quote:
I think that a lot of audiofanzine users use this program and i'm not attacking them personally but i wish a program would rise from the horizon based on the user and not on what is " hot " or at least what " they think is hot "

I truly think that much of what was added in Studio One 3 was put there to make the program more useful and not just to keep up with "what's hot." I may not agree with everything they've changed (like the new manual format), but overall, I get the sense that Studio One's designers are trying to add features that help users make music more easily (like the Arranger Track and Scratch Pads).
I haven't upgraded to Studio One 3 either though I like the sounds of it. Mostly for me, the lack of additional midi editing features, like filtering notes within a range or something, is lacking. Where most of my work concentrates is in the piano roll where I've gathered from different Studio One 3 comments there hasn't been much change, so there's really not a strong incentive for me to upgrade.

I did try out the trial evaluation and it seems nicer and I concur with Angelie's remark about too much black. During my time with the trial evaluation, all the black, mostly in the main window, compelled me to change colors to be able to distinguish info better from the background. But I do like the black for the menus and such but not in the main window (or the piano roll for that matter) so I reverted back to the v2 colors to some extent.

I also think the upgrade price is too steep. For someone like me who focuses on the piano roll, I don't see where the new features do me justice to pay the higher upgrade price. If it had been $99, upgrading would've been a cinch just to have the current version. But other than scratchpad/arranger and the ability to change colors, which I think these are nice, it's the other additions I mostly have no use for.

As for the extra instruments they include, I don't use them hardly either. I prefer the 3rd party market for purchasing libraries. It's much more expensive to go that route, I agree, but for that reason the 'extras' haven't been compelling.

My disclaimer would include that I didn't even know there was a v3 in the works so I hadn't any knowledge of the upgrade until it was first announced. I'm content with v2.65 though if v3 fixed some issues that plague my usage of v2.65 those might be an incentive to upgrade.

webpage: www.livingwatersjazz.com

Quote:
As for the extra instruments they include, I don't use them hardly either. I prefer the 3rd party market for purchasing libraries. It's much more expensive to go that route, I agree, but for that reason the 'extras' haven't been compelling.

Thanks for your feedback. I totally understand, based on your situation, why you wouldn't want to upgrade now. You have very particular needs for your DAW, which the upgrade doesn't really improve. As a reviewer, though, I have to look at product as a whole, and try to assess how it would impact either an average user or a new buyer. From that standpoint, the upgrade is quite impressive. Studio One was a powerful DAW before the upgrade, and it's gotten stronger. As for the black color, well, that's a taste thing. But as you mentioned, you can lighten it up using the color controls in the preferences. Regarding the upgrade price ($149.95 from previous Studio One Professional versions), it's not insubstantial, but is on par or less than many other DAW upgrades I've seen. Thankfully, PreSonus doesn't appear to be getting on the subscription bandwagon.