or
Create an account

or

Thread Best Software for my needs

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Best Software for my needs
Which amp simulator would be best for me? I have seen (but not used, don't have audio interface yet) Guitar Rig, Amplitube, and Garageband/Mainstage. I don't need fancy effects like special reverb, delay, flanger, chorus, etc. I play mainly clean sounds or with some overdrive. I don't need a huge variety of amps and cabs. I have used Roland Cube (SS) and Epiphone (Tube) in the past and both were great for me. This is what is important for me:

very low latency if possible
good clean sound
a couple of good overdrive options

If you care or need to know, here are some of the equipment stuff I have. Telecaster and Gretsch guitars. Mac computer. I plan on getting a Focusrite 2i2 (is this sufficient? Apogee?).

Currently my only speakers are the built in ones in my LG TV, probably not the best. I would like to get something different. Are studio monitors a good option or would some other type of speaker be better?
Quote from travharm:
Which amp simulator would be best for me? I have seen (but not used, don't have audio interface yet) Guitar Rig, Amplitube, and Garageband/Mainstage. I don't need fancy effects like special reverb, delay, flanger, chorus, etc. I play mainly clean sounds or with some overdrive. I don't need a huge variety of amps and cabs. I have used Roland Cube (SS) and Epiphone (Tube) in the past and both were great for me.

I can't help you with this. Plugins are just like any other software. Get your hands on which you are comfortable with.

Quote:

This is what is important for me:

good clean sound

Latency depends on the type of hardware and converters inside it. If the converters are slow you will experience a larger latency time.

Quote:

If you care or need to know, here are some of the equipment stuff I have. Telecaster and Gretsch guitars. Mac computer. I plan on getting a Focusrite 2i2 (is this sufficient? Apogee?).

The 2i2 is more then enough and you are able to plug your gitar right in but if you like to do more in the future you can always get one step higher

Quote:

Currently my only speakers are the built in ones in my LG TV, probably not the best. I would like to get something different. Are studio monitors a good option or would some other type of speaker be better?

Everything is better then television speakers.
Even a pair of high quality hi-fi speakers with 6 to 8 inch woofers and some hi/mid drivers are good. Studio speakers like krk, m-audio are even better. The choice is yours

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 01/08/2015 at 07:21:27 ]

Quote:
This is what is important for me:

good clean sound

I haven't noticed major latency differences between the major amp simulators. As Angelie mentioned, the amount of latency is also dependent on your hardware setup. Regarding clean tone, IMHO that's always been the toughest thing for amp sims to accurately emulate. That said, all three you mention, AmpliTube, Guitar Rig and the amp sims in GarageBand will give you some good clean sounds, along with a ton of good distorted or overdriven ones. If you're planning on using GarageBand as your DAW, then first see how far you get with its built in amp and cabinet emulsions, before spending the bucks on a third party sim.

Although Guitar Rig, Peavey ReValver 4, and Line 6's POD Farm are all good choices, AmpliTube may be the best option for your situation. That's because you can download the free AmpliTube Custom Shop software, which gives you plug-in and standalone versions of AmpliTube, and comes with a number of free amp and effects models. You can then purchase the additional ones you want from the AmpliTube Custom Shop's online store. Since you're not interested in a ton of distortion options, you can get just the amps you want, and IK Multimedia (who make AmpliTube) let you try out amp and effects models before buying them in the Custom Shop. So going that route, you could customize a setup to fit your need for clean amps, without spending as much as you would for a fully stocked amp simulator.

[ Post last edited on 01/08/2015 at 10:28:25 ]