Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Take Your Pick

• 6 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 [Getting started] Take Your Pick
Take Your Pick
If you are like most guitarists, you are on a continual quest to improve your tone and/or discover additional tonal options. This can involve spending thousands of dollars on amps, guitars, pickups, speakers, and effects. But what would you say if I told you could alter your tone for pennies?

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
GREAT POINT YOU MAKE HERE! Thanks. Have been trying to convince my 22 yr old grandson of this for years but he knows it all much better :>) I'm hoping someday soon he sees how much smarter I have become as I age.....
A couple other great simple points I have found for reaching better tones are: 8" speakers for acoustic elect guitars with a horn/tweeter on a volume control to control feedback in certain room acoustics. Yep, SMALLER is better here for most realistic tone. And very important, a different guitar for song writers... Meaning, change or alternate between different types of instruments once in awhile to bring in new sounds which bring in new ideas. I've only been around 76 years so how could I ever have learned as much as that 22 year old? Hey I still play open mikes and jam with 30+ year old's and they are always asking how I get a certain lick.
You're as old as you feel.
Thanks for the article. While I admittedly couldn't tell the difference too much with the audio clips provided (while using headphones), the implications of different tip shapes, gauges, materials, etc and their effect on tone can potentially provide endless possibilities :lol:
Quote:
I've only been around 76 years so how could I ever have learned as much as that 22 year old? Hey I still play open mikes and jam with 30+ year old's and they are always asking how I get a certain lick.

Age and wisdom definitely go hand in hand. Keep on playing!
Quote:
the implications of different tip shapes, gauges, materials, etc and their effect on tone can potentially provide endless possibilities

For sure, and it's something that guitarists often forget about. You get used to a certain pick type, and never think about it again.
I saw this article posted on reddit and some people were talking about TD50s and other high-end picks and how it changed their guitar playing.

I was hoping to see if I can contact the writer directly or anyone else who would know about TD50s and other picks that cost so much (the 50s cost 35 bucks!!!).

Normally I spend pennies on the same dunlops, but it wouldnt be fair for me to go get a tube amp and expensive pedals without wondering if high end picks can make a difference.

Mike, have you and/or Michael Ross ever used TD50s or any pick that costs more than 10 bucks for a single pick? What's the point? Am I missing something here?
Quote:
I was hoping to see if I can contact the writer directly or anyone else who would know about TD50s and other picks that cost so much (the 50s cost 35 bucks!!!)

Wow. Thirty five dollars for a pick. Unless using one instantly turns you in to a combination of Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen, I can't imagine it would be worth it. And the way I lose picks, I'd go broke very fast. :mdr: Seriously, though, I've never tried one, but I can't imagine how any pick, no matter how good, could be worth that much. If someone out there has tried one and thinks they are worth it, I'd love to hear why.