Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] The Best Strings for Electric Guitar

• 5 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 4 followers
1 [Getting started] The Best Strings for Electric Guitar
The Best Strings for Electric Guitar
Every guitarist needs strings, and lots of them, so choosing the right type is important. Despite their seeming simplicity, these metallic threads can guarantee tuning stability, long-term durability and a matching sound for the guitar. We polled 1,223 members of the French version of Audiofanzine to come up with these rankings, and we thought we'd pass the results on to you. We'd love to know which string brand is your favorite, so please use the comments section to let us know!

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
You missed one of the best brands of guitar strings that is available today! CURT MANGAN Strings. Curt Mangan is a former employee of Ernie Ball Strings who started his own factory in Cortez, Colorado. I think that Mangan strings are plain and simple the best strings I have ever put on my guitar. Mangan doesn't sell through the big-box music stores - he has a selected large network of small music stores of the mom-and-pop variety. The strings themselves are superb. They will last as much as twice the length of the established brands and even when Mangan Strings are old, they don't go dead, they just change their tone some and never in an unpleasant way. And Mangan Strings are amazingly consistent from set to set - I know exactly what the strings will sound like when they are new (and pretty much through the life of the string). They are not cheap but the long life and real consistency are the hallmarks I want in the strings I use and Curt Mangan Strings have those characteristics by the carload. And they sound fantastic!

[ Post last edited on 03/19/2016 at 13:32:14 ]

I've seen Curt Mangan strings around but never tried them. Based on your recommendation, I'm interested in checking them out. Thanks!
Hey Mike,

I'm a D'Addario fan. Both on Electric and Acoustic. Been using them for years and if you buy in bulk packs of 10, they're extremely good value.
I've tried coated strings in the past, but I would prefer to change strings often and not use coated strings. They just don't seem as bright to me.

Cheers,

Nick

-------------
One Flight Up Music Studios Sydney
Hi Nick,
Quote:
I'm a D'Addario fan. Both on Electric and Acoustic. Been using them for years and if you buy in bulk packs of 10, they're extremely good value.

Agreed that bulk strings are a good value. However, I really prefer string sets where the strings are in individual envelopes. The bulk packs are not great for live use, because if you break a string during a gig, trying to find the correct gauge replacement on a dark stage from a bulk pack where the strings are all mixed together is a pain. I know that it uses more paper to have the individually wrapped strings, but I do faithfully recycle the envelopes.

Quote:
I've tried coated strings in the past, but I would prefer to change strings often and not use coated strings. They just don't seem as bright to me.

I've had the same experience with coated strings. They stay bright longer, but are never as bright as new non-coated strings are. Still, for some it's worthwhile tradeoff.
Hi guys,I am sorry for my english but my company used to be a dealer of DR Strings(since the 2000 year) and few others as Martin , GHS, Daddario,etc.DR Strings.After the impact to the EU market of the Warwick,when that owner feels he must control everything,We lost the USA strings for Czech and Slovakia markets.Nevertheless THE DR strings were a serious problem. No one wanted buy their colored strings-they play like rubber one.Nickel and stainless strings (DR) got rust and black stains on immediately.Bad.Our tradition Korea partner has started make new strings brand called Black Smith.We asked a few best Czech guitar players for thir test and the guys Michal Pavliček (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmRhBNPWsJk) or Honza Kirk Běhunek (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbC9ixQ1Lqc) from Seven play them for second year.Another good strings to the strings family. This should not be any add but not all made in the USA is perfect.No one knows where their strings are made and because I do the business third decade lot of "the great US strings" are made in China.