or
Create an account

or

Thread Looking for information

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Looking for information
My wife and I are in the beginning phases of buying equipment to record music that she writes.

What I have found, and am currently recommending to my wife, are the following:

1. Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X
2. Apple iMac 21.5" display, 3.6GHz quad-core I7 with 32GB ddr4 memory.
3. Presonus One 4 Professional.

I am also 'considering' the PreSonus Quantum 26x32 TB2 Audio interface in place of the Focusrite.

Given that my budget is in the $4K-$5K range, is the equipment I am recommending a 'good' choice? I know there are a lot of opinions, but I am looking at specs and reviews of this gear. I love the MAC interface, so plan on staying in that realm.

Additionally, this computer and equipment WILL NEVER be connected to the internet, it is specifically being bought to use in our home studio.

I would like to know if the choices I am making are 'solid' choices, or is there something 'better' (within the budget)?
You like to record the music she writes..
The music is played how?
How many different instruments at the same time?
Any focals while playing?

So basically :
What are you planning to do with it?

I think the thunderbolt interface is overrated?
USB devices are fast these days!

Imac can do your job easily...
I'm also running on imac with a Scarlett 18i20 with octo pre dynamic as extention and record rock/ pop bands and classic music on that..without any problems ( my biggest project : 170 channels )

I worked with presonus and I guess it is good software... I know some people would kill for it but it is not my thing.
Software is something very personal....

So please can you provide some additional information...

And finally as tip:
I don't know how much experience you have with recording but you mentioned you are just in the beginning of.....

Probably there are better products but better products doesn't make better recordings

My slogan :
It does not matter what you use,.... But how you use it....

You can make a million dollar record on a 8-track and destroy it on a 600.000 dollars mixing console...

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 10/28/2018 at 05:04:46 ]

This equipment will be used in two different scenario's.

The first is recording 1-3 acoustic guitars, with piezo pickups inside and microphones close to the sound box.

Additionally, this setup will be used to record electric guitar(s), bass guitar, drums, keyboards (both acoustic, and sythn's), as well as other instruments.

The root of the question maybe, is this selection of equipment suitable for it's intended purpose? What is the learning curve on this?
Yeah I guess so...

I don't really know the clarinett.... If this is an 8 port interface you have enough... But if you like to add more instruments in the future I would like to pick an interface which can be extended....

Something like an 18i20 or perhaps the interface you mentioned..

Learning curve is not realy hard.... Just start with a few tracks and build it up from there...

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...