Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Studio on a Budget

• 9 replies
  • 7 participants
  • 7 followers
1 [Getting started] Studio on a Budget
Studio on a Budget
While it may be as tough as ever to earn money with music, the bright side remains that it’s become much easier to build a recording studio based mostly around your computer — without spending a fortune. With an outlay of less than $500 (not including the computer, of course), you can set yourself up with a very capable studio.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
A "quality" studio,using only headphones for recording,mixing and mastering..is contradiction in terms(as you cannot get a quality mix with just headphones.)
Meaning that a recording mixed on headphones,will not translate well to other systems.A "studio" without studio monitors,is not a studio-PERIOD.
Quote from Fred:
A "quality" studio,using only headphones for recording,mixing and mastering..is contradiction in terms(as you cannot get a quality mix with just headphones.)

Hi Fred: Thanks for your input, and I must insist that it is strictly YOUR input, as I have heard the contradictory evidence for your claim many times with my own ears. I have interviewed artists, producers, mix and mastering engineers who monitor solely on headphones and their results come out just fine. That's not to say that it's the ideal way to work for all people. For sure, those people have all been very talented, discerning and practiced. But a brand new home producer who's just getting started is likely to need a lot of practice mixing before they create professional results regardless of whether they have no monitors, $200 monitors or $2,000 monitors. Our feeling when creating this article was that it is better for people to get starting making music now and start putting in that practice than to feel like they aren't capable of making music simply because they don't have the money for studio monitors.
AT2020 for $99 ?
Apart from the mic definitely NOT being my personal choice in the sub $100 league it might be nice to add the information that you'd have to spend extra money for a shock mount ($75 !!!), pop shield and a stand ...

USB interface including a DAW ?
+1 to that! - BUT it again might be worth a mention that with Studio One Artist you don't get any VST or VSTi support out of the box and the extra cost for a VST/VSTi support upgrade is even more than the money you'd spend for e.g. Reaper (FULL version).
... seeing that, it seems a bit strange to see a link to "5 free vintage synth plug-ins" at the end of the article (should read more like "5 free vintage synth plug-ins that you aren't able to use if you buy the stuff in the article" ;) ).
Again +1 for Studio One being a great usable DAW but not in any version that doesn't support VST/VSTi - not even for a noob.

[ Post last edited on 09/24/2015 at 02:15:29 ]

Hi Nobdi,

Thanks for the feedback. Let me address a couple of your points individually:

Quote:
AT2020 for $99 ?
Apart from the mic definitely NOT being my personal choice in the sub $100 league it might be nice to add the information that you'd have to spend extra money for a shock mount ($75 !!!), pop shield and a stand

You definitely can get it for $99 (here's an example: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2020), and it comes with a stand mount. So it's not like you can't use it without spending additional money for a shockmount. Sure, the latter would be nicer, but we're talking a budget mic here, so it's going to be "no frills.

Quote:
BUT it again might be worth a mention that with Studio One Artist you don't get any VST or VSTi support out of the box and the extra cost for a VST/VSTi support upgrade is even more than the money you'd spend for e.g. Reaper (FULL version).

Thank you for pointing that out. I checked with the PreSonus site, and you're absolutely correct, no third-party plug-in support with Studio One Artist. In order to get it you have to upgrade to the Professional version. I will say, in defense of Studio One Artist, you do get a lot of quality plug-ins included, certainly enough to get by. But agreed, it's a limitation and should have been mentioned in the story. It now is, because I added a note about it, and removed the freeware plug-in link. Here's a Studio One version comparison for anyone who's interested. http://studioone.presonus.com/compare-versions
I just don't get all the arm-chair "pros" making snarky comments on a post that, from the start is aimed at a good, basic recording setup....this was not Gear Sluts the last time I checked...

The only thing I don't like in the list IS the version of studio 1, NOT because of the lack of support of VST-VSTi, but the lack of a good EQ. If it had the regular EQ it would be MUCH mor functional, but the one that comes with it is just too basic IMHO....BUT it is STILL very usable, and the cost is right....LOL
It has occurred to me that there are fewer years ahead than there are behind....
Quote:
BUT it is STILL very usable, and the cost is right.

Exactly. Thanks for your comments. :bravo:
Hi, thanks for the information. It would be nice to have the same article recommendations for a $1,000. And please if you can include some information about a computer. (not included in price of course)
Thanks A
Quote from Fred:
Meaning that a recording mixed on headphones,will not translate well to other systems.A "studio" without studio monitors,is not a studio-PERIOD.

You forgot a very key point here. Quality studio for under $500. If you want a good enough entry-level interface, midi controller, microphone, monitors, cables, you really gotta pick and choose your battles. True, monitors might usually be better. But monitors that fit this budget? Good luck. I'd take my AKG K702 headphones (originally around 500 bucks, got for 200) over any $200 PAIR (don't forget, you'll need 2) of monitors, any day of the week.

Now, if the budget grows, then your point would certainly be more relevant.

Quote from Smurf_en:
I just don't get all the arm-chair "pros" making snarky comments on a post that, from the start is aimed at a good, basic recording setup....this was not Gear Sluts the last time I checked...
Haha, appreciate that! The truth is, for 500 bucks, it's hard to top this list. I welcome anyone to give us their version of the best $500-or-less home studio :-D

Quote from Avidan:
Hi, thanks for the information. It would be nice to have the same article recommendations for a $1,000. And please if you can include some information about a computer. (not included in price of course)
Thanks A

That's a really good point, go get 'em Markkus!

Last thing I'll say is, for those disappointed with the Studio One Artist tip, I feel your pain. I use Studio One 2 Pro, and it's far and away better. I think Markkus was just touching on the fact that some interfaces come with free software, and some of the free software actually isn't so bad.

Now, if you want a fully-functional DAW, either spend 60 bucks on Reaper (so long as you don't make money off of your music) or look into one of the DAW subscription services out there to try and stay under budget
Only change I would make is recommend a CAD M179 for the mic (comes with shock mount). I got mine off Amazon a little while back for about $112 (I think now it's $150...still totally worth it). A great mic for those who think the AT2020 is too brittle (myself included).