Yamaha NP-V80

Keyboard Arranger from Yamaha belonging to the Piaggero series

Thread Yamaha NP-V80 issue

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Yamaha NP-V80 issue

Hi all,

I recently got a Yamaha Piaggero NP-V80, and I've started to learn a few pieces, using mostly the Waiting feature from the Yamaha Education Suite (Y.E.S.), which I believe is found on many other Yamaha keyboards.

I'm guessing many people here have used that feature: you select a certain MIDI song, then press the Waiting button on the keyboard, and after a few beats are sounded (which give you the tempo), the LCD will display the first key (or combination of keys) that you have to press, and will wait until you do so, at which moment everything is repeated for the next key that needs to be pressed, and so on.

Problem is, this feature only seems to work for certain MIDIs. It certainly works for all songs that are built-in, and it worked for some MIDIs that I loaded into the keyboard, but not for others. For those MIDIs in the last category, when the Waiting button is pressed, nothing happens.

Without this function, learning a piece using a MIDI rendition of it is much more difficult, you essentially have to play a few seconds of it back, pause it, then try to play everything yourself till that point, then resume playback, and so on.

I have no idea what the keyboard doesn't like about those MIDIs - has anyone else noticed/found a fix for this? Maybe they have to be somehow edited to make them work with the Waiting function? Many thanks in advance for any replies!

Hi Wildetudor,

I have the same "problem" with my MIDI files and lessons on my Yamaha Piaggero NP-V80. Did you already find a solution for this issue ?

Best regard,

Edward

Hi, I'm afraid I didn't, all I was able to find out was that it is something to do with the Sysex commands contained in a MIDI file, i.e. those that don't work have some missing (or: extra) of those commands. Importing them into Cubase and saving them back into MIDI seems to be a workaround, however none of the freeware MIDI editors that I tried replicate this effect (Cubase is a very expensive software).

I thought it was a problem with the Waiting mode on all Yamaha, but apparently other Yamahas (e.g. the ESR/PSR series) work just fine in Learning mode with any external MIDI.

If anyone else reading this finds a solution please create an account (if you don't have one already) and tell us about it, thanks!

Hi Wildetutor,

Please read the text in the link below:

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2878

For me it works to converts the MIDI File Format Type 1 to Type 0. I hope you can use this information.

Best regards from The Netherlands,

Edward

Hi Edward, many thanks for that link, hope this will solve this problem once and for all!