or
Create an account

or

Thread Need mic advice?

• 11 replies
  • 10 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Need mic advice?
My name is Tim, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to offer microphone advice for anyone who needs it. I'm currently the mic guru at Clair Brothers audio, the largest touring sound company in the world, and I wanted to share my talents and knowledge with those of out there who could use them. Just drop me an email or post something here and I would be glad to help.
As long as the mixer has 48volt phantom power, and the mic requires 48v power, you should have no problem.
About the tsm mt87s, I'm not familiar with this mic. In the little info I found on the net, I think it is a condenser mic, which you would need phantom power for. I would also buy some sort of preamp for the mic, the ones that come with the computer don't have the quality of even the cheapest outboard one. If your just starting out and wouldn't need a lot of inputs, the m-audio fast track usb would be an inexpensive choice, it has two mic pre's with phantom power, balanced and un-balanced outs, digital in/out. All for around $100. If more inputs is your flavor, I strongly suggest the presonus firepod, I am currently using one of these, and I love it. The 8 preamps sound great, plus its easy to setup. The firepod goes for around $600.

%1$s a écrit My name is Tim, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to offer microphone advice for anyone who needs it. I'm currently the mic guru at Clair Brothers audio, the largest touring sound company in the world, and I wanted to share my talents and knowledge with those of out there who could use them. Just drop me an email or post something here and I would be glad to help.

Hi Tim,

I've got a question. I'm about to start up a cheap home studio, and my ambitions aren't that big. I've bought a TSM MT87S mic, but I don't get it to work. I've plugged it directly into my computer, but I´m suspecting that I need a preamp or something in between the mic and the computer. Is this assumption correct, and if it is do you have any suggestions of what I should spend my money on?

regards /calle
Hey. Quickly. I`m about to buy a condenser mic, and i was just wondering if i needed anything to power it. I know i need phantom power but i suppose i can get that from my mixer (Which is a 12 channel yamaha mixer)... am i wrong?
Hi Tim,

I'm doing some recording of a Church Choir, I have been using an Edirol R-1 and its built-in mics wih some fairly decent results but am wondering how much improvement I will get from a standalone mic and if so what mic would you suggest?

Richard
Hi Tim
Nice of you to offer. My set up is fairly simple. An M-AUDIO Ozone hooked into my iMac G5. I use a Nady RSM-2 ribbon mic, trying to get the "Capitol years" Sinatra sound on my vocals. As you can imagine, the Ozone doesn't have enough gain for a ribbon, (it sounds pretty good, but weak) so I bought an Electro-Harmonix 12AY7 mic preamp. However, when I use the balanced XLR ins and outs,(or 1/4 inch, for that matter) through the Ozone, I get a bad hum. Should I go straight from the E-H pre to my Mac sound card? I use it on GarageBand, and SoundTrack Pro.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Hey Tim,

I just bought a really cheap desktop mic for my computer, the problem is it won't pick up my voice even when I'm speaking directly into it. I've gotta literally hold my hand over it, and talk into my hand for my voice to be audible. I was just wondering what you would recommend, (ie. if there is a way I can boost the signal from my mic) or if there are any reasonably cheap mics you might advocate for talking to my friends on Ventrilo.

Thanks in advance -

Dan.

Edit: Seeing as this is a studio forum, I apologise if my query is out of place.
Hi Tim:

I do need some advice. I have a number of condenser and dynamic mics, all are cardiod pattern. I've found myself in a couple situations lately where I really need an omni mic. But as I do research, I am not finding many mics designed for studio recording of music that have an omni pattern.

At the moment, I am tempted to get a couple of good ol' Electrovoice 635A mics. They really aren't for recording music, but I am familiar with them. We used to use them at college to mic drums. And recently I've found that EV still makes them and the street price is about $90.

Any suggestions? I'd like to shoot for the $100/ea or less price range, but will consider higher if it's necessary. If condensers, all my current condesers use 48V phantom, so I'd like to stick to that voltage (unless they are internal battery types).

Butch.
Hi tim,

I don't know much about mic's and am in charge of getting equipement for my band so I was just wondering if you could recommend any mic's? We need 2 mics, 1 for a girls another for a guy. The guy is the stronger and louder of the 2. We need the mic's for gigs in smallish venues and they have to run off phantom power. Cost shouldn't be much of a problem so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Darren