or

Thread Help on choosing a microphone for chamber music recording

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Help on choosing a microphone for chamber music recording
Hi!

My first post in this interesting Forum. I need some help for my project:

I am a flute student and have reached the level to start playing in small groups (duets, trios). Normally there is a flute (me) and a cello and in some cases a second flute. There are a few other possible combinations of instruments, such as flute + piano and flute + guitar.

I want to make recordings of the performances using a suitable microphone and PC equipment with SW such as Audacity. These will be used mainly for our own + our teachers evaluation, but I want them to be of good quality.

For the moment I can only afford one microphone, due to cost and also because of available space and installation/setup and operation simplicity.

My budget is quite limited and I could spend not more that about 200 $ for the micro and its phantom supply if required. The laptop I plan to use is may present Toshiba netbook NB100 + Audacity 1.2.6

I think that a typical cardioid polar would not be adequate to record three players with a single mike, but I may be wrong.

We normally play in a rather crowded large room (for the moment, most are just the students families)

My questions:

- For such scenario, what would be a good microphone type, model and brand?

- Are condenser type the better for this application?

- I found the AudioTechnica AT2050, with selectable pattern cardioid, omni and double 8. Price is within budget but I lack the experience to chose correctly, so it was rather a matter of sheer intuition

- Some say that selectable pattern mikes are not as good a single pattern units and in fact, some specs for the AT2050 are poorer than same brand, similar models with single pattern (sensitivity, S/N ratio). Is this correct?

- Could you suggest the optimal setup for my project?

Thank you in advance!
My opinion is that you try to record in stereo and therefore buy a stereo pair for overhead recording . A stereo pair of oktava MK-012 (for example) have a good quality/price ratio for such a task. You should be able to find a pair for under $200 on their online store or ebay.
Thank you for the idea. I had not considered stereo recording because of the double equipment necessary, but it could be a solution to the problem of widely spaced musicians.

However the Oktava microphones are currently much higher than 200$ the pair, they are around 500$ up.

There are also some concerns that sites that offer them at too low prices could be selling low quality chinese fakes.
You can get them (a stereo pair)on ebay (that's where i bought mine) new, for less than $200 (if you don't get all the capsules) from the official seller (oktava-online). don't buy from anybody else.
Might be a bit too late but with a friend we've developed a Pocket Microphone Library iOS app.
It includes a list a 90+ mics with the tech specs (directivities, curves, etc.) and a comparator.
It is called Rës: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/res-microphone-pocket-library/id1016290844?ls=1&mt=8