or
Create an account

or

Thread What is the difference between contemporary music and free jazz ?

• 25 replies
  • 12 participants
  • 13 followers
1 What is the difference between contemporary music and free jazz ?
So what ? :bravo:
Show first post
And boringness
Boring because you've mastered it or because you don't understand it? or maybe it just doesn't speak to you... but boring is a subjective notion in all cases.
I know, I just like trolling :bravo:

But being serious 2 minutes, I really have a problem with jazz. I know I should like it but it just bores me to death (except fot new orlean and manouche swing, and a few exceptions). I don't know why, maybe it relies to much on technic and not enough on emotion in my opinion
But I totally understand and respect jazz addicts, it's just not for me
I can understand that. try listening to the "kind of blue" album by miles davis. it's more of a mood album and less of a technical album, even though there's still a lot of chops in there. but if you still don't like it after chilling out and listening to it a few times, then jazz really isn't for you. http://img.af-v4.com/images/audiofanzine/interface/smileys/icon_cry.gif(" />(" />
Yeah, I listened a lot of Miles Davis because he is one of the exceptions I was talking about :bravo:
But still, when I want to listen music I rarelly pick a Miles Davis CD. Maybe I'm allergic.

Quote: new orlean and manouche swing

How boring !

:mdr:

There are so many types of jazz that it's impossible (I think) to like everyone.

But :

Quote: I should like it

Why should you ?

By the way : new orleans and manouche are amongst the most technical ones (let's add Be Bop) so your remark is a bit ironic.

I don't know well the kind of music you use to listen to (as mentioned in your french profile), but I see Radiohead -> try John Zorn ?
Amon tobin -> try "Time 4 change" or "Organics" by Laurent de Wilde, or "Gambit" by Julien Lourau

Or anything from Medeski Martin & Wood...

Hope you''l like some of them ! :bravo:
Yeah, I know manouche and new orlean are very technical, but it seems to me that it is more "living", there's something I feel in that I don't feel in bebop for example.

I know John Zorn and Julien Loureau, and I really like them, but as I said, when I want to listen something, I very rarelly listen to them.

And when I say I should like Jazz, it's more that I'd like to like jazz. When I see the amount of stuff I could discover and love, it just seems endless, but it just doesn't speak to me...

Quote: When I see the amount of stuff I could discover and love, it just seems endless

That's right !

Quote: I know manouche and new orlean are very technical, but it seems to me that it is more "living", there's something I feel in that I don't feel in bebop for example.

It makes me think of a friend who desperatly try to make me love be-bop ! :mdr:

For these styles (manouche, New-Orleans, Bebop...), I'm like you : I rarely chose them for listening.

I think that the trick is to find something that you really like (= decide to listen to frequently) ; and then discover other disks whose style is similar. So the goal (and th difficulty !) is to find the golden vein !

You should try things close to what you already like. Some other suggestions :

Amon Tobin -> General Electrics, US3 (hand on the torch, well not really jazz, but a bunch of samples from Blue Note), Herbie Hancock (Future2future, head hunters...)

Bebop rock : Happy Apple
Strange and funny bebop : Les Double six

Very different, real jazz, subtle : "Colonel Skopj" from Henry Texier, or "Remparts d'argile" which is beautiful.
Destructured, rock, free, strange : "En attendant Marcel" or "Dentiste" from Laurent Dehors

Close to New Orleans : "Joe Cool's blues" from Wynton Marsalis & family
Almost funk : "In Crowd Anthology" by Ramsey lewis, "Live in Europe" by Bill Evans

Close to world Music : Hadouk Trio, "Blue Camel" from Rabuh Abou Khalil
Beautiful voice, lot of emotion, somewhat New orleans "Live in New Morning" from Dianne Reeves

Hope this helps ! :bravo:

Listen to some samples on Amzaon, and select the one which strikes you...
You're welcome !

Ha, and have a listening to Thelonious Monk ( "brilliant corners" for instance). Lots of people "shouldn't like him" (for instance they like only english punk / noisy pop), but happen to love it. Hard to explain, except tht he brought new possibilities in harmony, like Ravel or Bartok.

:boire: