1/3
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum

Thread EAX as MIDI controller...?

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 EAX as MIDI controller...?
Hello all, a quick question that I hope is worded right:

my dirty old SB Live! lets me pass midi through the EAX(eg, reverb, chorus) should I want it to. my question is can the Audigy2 do the same and if so does it let u use all the others (eg, distortion, delay) in the same way?

cheers,
Jamie
ok.
so are you all not replying because the answers obviously yes or obviously no?
or does know one know?
surely someone can throw me some kind of bone.

Cheers
Hi,
I guess people did not reply because they did not know the answer. People on this forum are usually very helpful.

I'm not really sure I understand what you want to do with your Audigy.

Quote: Hello all, a quick question that I hope is worded right:

my dirty old SB Live! lets me pass midi through the EAX(eg, reverb, chorus) should I want it to. my question is can the Audigy2 do the same and if so does it let u use all the others (eg, distortion, delay) in the same way?

cheers,
Jamie

sblive is the base consumer card, so im sure audigy2 would expand upon sblive...same options should be there, i hope i understand what youre asking
cheers guys (and girls if it applies)

I feel like I maybe preaching to the cardinals in doing this but I'll explain it anyway: My meaning was that as you know with any midi track or file each instrument can have a value for things such as velocity, panning, pitch bend etc. Also you can have values for reverb and chorus in fact there are (I think) 127 controllers that can be utilised. The majority are set as 'user definable' but a few like the ones mentioned above have standerd uses.

Ok, so with EAX on the Live! I found that if I put both reverb and chorus on 100% my midi tracks could use and control them. So in a simple midi sequencer program (in my case a shareware Evolution program) these values can be set and it can turn standard below average midi sounds into semi-professional music. Then you can easily record a midi track into a .wav track complete with effects anyway using a basic wav editor.

Keep in mind that EAX applies to all sounds coming out of your output so any piece that has midi and .wav style audio will sound HORRIBLE. Also plying mp3's, games, system sounds, etc will also be horrible. So only put them on 100% when you're using midi only.

So that's about it. The thing is that I bought the Audigy2 a few days ago and am still sorting it out. I've managed to do the chorus but not reverb and belive I will work out how to use all the other effects (eg, distortion, phasing, etc).

So stay cool and don't forget that Sgt Pepper was done on a 4 track. ;)