Reviews
Price engine
Classified Ads

Thread I have an Audigy 2 ZS -.- here are a few questions

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 I have an Audigy 2 ZS -.- here are a few questions
Hello, recently I've acquired an interest in home recording and am currently working on reasearching equipment and different types of configurations for setting up a home studio. Currently, I have the following components:

-Cakewalk Sonar 4 Producer
-Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard
-Klipsch computer speakers

To my understanding, I need the following items to be able to start recording and producing music.
I need:

-mixer
-microphone

At this point however I have a few questions. First, since I already have an Audigy 2 ZS soundcard I would prefer to continue using that if possible. The Audigy soundcard has a firewire port on it, and I was wondering if this port is sufficient to connect a mixer that has firewire capabilities (with a firewire card) such as the 'ALESIS MULTIMIX 8-CHANNEL ANALOG MIXER WITH FIREWIRE' ??

I was also looking at a spearate route, using the possibility of a audio interface. It sounds like this is probably a better option than the Audigy. If I bought and decided to use an audio interface, would I even need a mixer at all? Well, I guess the most important question that I have at the moment is whether or not I can connect a firewire mixer to my computer via the port on my Audigy 2 ZS soundcard. Please respond with any advice and/or suggestions you have. If it helps, I will be primarily recording hip/hop beats and lyrics. Thanks for your help!

~Sean
since you will use a mic, you will need a mixer (or a preamp, depneds on how many inputs you need)
after that, you just plug your mixer output in the soundcard's line in.

OR

you might just get a cheap usb-enabled mixer.
most audio firewire interfaces out there come with their own custom pci card with a firewire port built on it (some call it audiowire).