Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] The Match Game

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 [Getting started] The Match Game
The Match Game
A Match EQ is a specialized type of equalizer plug-in that works by extracting the EQ profile from one audio file and applying it to another, so that the latter sounds more like the former. This type of EQ can be used both in corrective and creative ways, as you’ll see if you read on.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
Very cool. I have Assimilator via TC Konnekt but never use it as I heard these plug-ins weren't great, but now I'm considering giving it a try. A couple of questions:
[*]In your examples, when you're saying this is with match 'on' the comparing it when turned 'off', you're strictly talking about matching EQ, correct? That is to say, when the matching is 'of', the guitar track still has EQ, thus we can say the difference in town with Match EQ on vs off is ENTIRELY due to the match EQ, leaving all other plug-ins activated?[newline][*]I can see the benefit on the EQ curve for a whole mix, but what if I hear a guitar part I LOVE within a song? Is there any simple way where I can match the EQ curve of ONLY the guitar track on a CD/mp3 song?[newline]
Sorry if those questions sound confusing, but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say :D:
Quote:
[*]In your examples, when you're saying this is with match 'on' the comparing it when turned 'off', you're strictly talking about matching EQ, correct? That is to say, when the matching is 'of', the guitar track still has EQ, thus we can say the difference in town with Match EQ on vs off is ENTIRELY due to the match EQ, leaving all other plug-ins activated?
Yes, because everything else about the sound is the same. In the example I gave on the video, the only changes between the two sounds in the comparison was that the match EQ was either on or off. All else remained the same.

Quote:
[*]I can see the benefit on the EQ curve for a whole mix, but what if I hear a guitar part I LOVE within a song? Is there any simple way where I can match the EQ curve of ONLY the guitar track on a CD/mp3 song?
Unless there was a section where the guitar you like was playing by itself during the song, you wouldn't be able to isolate it enough for a match EQ to effectively learn its frequency spectrum.