Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] The 3:1 rule

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 2 followers
1 [Getting started] The 3:1 rule
The 3:1 rule
In this episode I invite you to discover a trick that every beginner ought to know, the so-called 3:1 rule.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
Interesting. My question would be since the 3:1 rule states the distance from the first to the second mic should be at least three times the distance from the source to the first mic.

So the goal seems to be the distance between the two mics. How does this affect the distance of the second mic to the source? Does it not affect it?

I hope someone can explain this.

Thanks.
Quote from Wally:
Interesting. My question would be... How does this affect the distance of the second mic to the source? Does it not affect it? [/i]

So for example when setting both mics 10cm away from the instrument, their (in between distance) would need to be about 30cm (or ideally more).

And vice versa when the distance between the microphones is 30cm, these shall be placed 10cm away from the instrument (hence 3:1, 3 units correspond to the in between distance and 1 unit to the pics-instrument distance).

:)

[ Post last edited on 01/02/2017 at 10:38:03 ]