Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Recording electric guitar - DI Joe

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 1 follower
1 [Getting started] Recording electric guitar - DI Joe
Recording electric guitar - DI Joe
When you talk about electric guitar, it's inevitable to think about the instrument and an amp. To the point that when you mention "direct recording" to some guitar players, they cry "heresy!" and shun it as a sort of safety net for budding audio engineers. And yet, many legendary tracks include guitar parts recorded sending the guitar signal directly into the console, without going into an amp. And we are talking about thousands of records! Here's a non-exhaustive list...

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
excellent article - I will use it in my defense when I get taken to task for buying a mic pre I've had my eye on for a long time, but thought would be redundant because I have mic pres in my interface. :lol:

but seriously, it did validate something I had been thinking about, because I do a metric poop-ton of DI recording due to not being able to play out loud because of changes in the living situation at my household. It also makes a lot of sense to shape the characteristic of the sound before it hits the, for lack of a charitable term, less than audiophile quality of converters in my entry level interface. By the time I get any decent level out of the interface, breathing on the low E string tends to cause the dreaded 'red light' crackle to come on.

as long as we're putting hardware in front of the interface, what about putting a compressor in line as well to further help keep the interface's preamp and converter from crapping out? Maybe an article idea for the future?