Reviews
Price engine
Classified Ads

Thread amp buzzing

• 3 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 amp buzzing
i have a used yamaha G-100 head...it has a terrible buzzing in it,but only when you plug a guitar into it..if nothing is plugged into the input jacks it dont buzz at all

i have tried 3 different guitars and 3 different cords, still buzzin...if you touch the
front control panel any where it's metal the buzz almost goes away..it is greatly reduced..i bought this as a used model and it came with a kingston 4-12
cabinet...could this be a grounding issue...i have also tried it in different outlets around the house..nothing different...any help would be greatly apreciated....bob w
Hi

Sounds like a grounding issue to me...quick question first: The three guitars you plugged in...did all of them have Singlecoil Pickups

Anyway...this could also be a bad tube...is the power ok?
And yes - it could be a bad ground...how well do you know your way around soldering? I don't think it's the cabinet.
A common electronics failure is the power supply capacitors.  AC input voltage is converted to DC in the power supply.  The capacitors "filter" out any residual AC voltage.  If a capacitor goes bad it cannot filter out the 60 and 120 Hz AC and your amp will buzz.  Look at the caps (large cylindrical things) and see if the tops are flat.  If the tops are bubbled or are leaking some stuff it is probably bad.  Most caps are glued to the board so dont get excited if it has some hard glue at the bottom connecting it to the PC board.
Quote from phraseland:
HiSounds like a grounding issue to me...quick question first: The three guitars you plugged in...did all of them have Singlecoil Pickups Anyway...this could also be a bad tube...is the power ok?And yes - it could be a bad ground...how well do you know your way around soldering? I don't think it's the cabinet.

NO TUBES IN THIS AMP !! icon_facepalm.gif
It's an all solid state transistor amp. :bave:

Yamaholic: Twangers , Amps and Bikes