Create an account

or

Thread Mixing Vocals into an Instrumental track

• 12 replies
  • 9 participants
  • 9 followers
1 Mixing Vocals into an Instrumental track
Hi,
Im having problems when i try to mix my vocal track into an instrumental..
the quality of the voice is so different from the quality of my instrumental track.

The sound of the vocal is like its too near from ur face..it's so noticable, after all the experiments of compressing,limiting,stereo expanding still is a rubbish

Any advice that can make my vocal track to sit nicely on the mixdown?
(Im more on Hiphop and RnB/soul)

by the way im using:
-Adobe Audition 3 (mixing and Mastering)
-Rode NT1-A connected to Behringer Xenyx 1202FX

Thanks!
Have you tried a light "global" effect on all channels?
Sorry but what do u mean by global.....?

soz..4 being a noob
I mean adding an effect to all tracks (the main mix) at the same time (not just one). this way you might be able to unify the sound a bit.
I did some of it like individually..but im still experimenting to make the sound more professional(seems that the song is just a tryout)

try and judge the quality of the song and give me some feedback..
-this might need an account for viewing the song completely

http://www.imeem.com/people/pv-Atw/music/F-t5m21a/jrome_let_me_say_i_love_you/

thanks
I like to use 2 techniques to fit my vocals more naturally into a track. One is EQ, turn the EQ on and drop down ALL the frequencies about 3 db. Then pick a small frequency range and push it up as loud as you can, concentrate on listening to just that one little area of sound. Move around and listen to different frequencies, and ones that you think should be accentuated pull them up, but not any more than 3 db, you just want those frequencies you like to be at zero or "unity gain" again. This helps to get rid of frequencies that compete with the instrumental track. Another technique is called parallel compression. Send your vocals to an FX track, and assign a compressor to the FX track. Then use a ton of compression on the vocal, like 30:1 ratio, with a threshold of -20db. Some serious compression. What's important here is that you should still have the original vocal playing and slowly push up the volume on the altered vocal track with all the compression on it. Don't turn the volume up on the vocal with the compression too much, it shouldn't be too noticeable, but what you will notice is that you can now turn down the original vocal track a little and it will still sound clear and will fit nicely in the mix. These are my suggestions, hope they help. -Jay
Great input, thejaybeez! :boire:
YO i have the same problem dawg....
can anyone show me how to edit and mix my vocal professionally in2 an instrumental.......coz ma vocal and ma instrumental's sounds bad.....
ma vocals all over da place and instrumental is like so loud.......
it don't sound professional......

i'm new at this recording and editing ma own sh?t.....

can anyone help me.....

Yeah! I agree with kon-tiki.. I never knew about thus, until I read your post.. thanks man!

Here's a few things that may help use duplicates of your vocal tracks and pan them to the sides evenly. 1 left and one right..not to much just enough, then lower the volume on your mail vocal track which should be centered, the middle won't sound empty but but having the vocals tracks on the sides it should go with the mix better, you can also make a duplicate of the instrumental, and cut out all frequencies except for the low end pan that to the center, then drop the low end on the original instrumental by a few dbs just so the bass isn't overpowering, by having the "bass track" panned center it prevents your vocals from being the only thing occupying that space another thing Is after you've finished the song, run the track through a phaser, (there's one in flstudios I use) and just toy with the phaser, pan the entire track just a little bit to one side,then increase the volume slightly on the other side. You end up with a pretty decent full sounding track once you find what sounds best. If anyone needs more in depth explanations feel free to ask.