Create an account

or

Thread Comments about the feature article: Craig Anderton: Understanding Reverb

• 6 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Comments about the feature article: Craig Anderton: Understanding Reverb
Craig Anderton: Understanding Reverb
When we hear sounds in the “real world,” they are in an acoustic space. For example, suppose you are playing acoustic guitar in your living room. You hear not only the guitar’s sound, but because the guitar generates sound waves, they bounce off walls, the ceiling, and the floor. Some of these sound waves return to your ears, which due to their travel through the air, will be somewhat delayed compared to the direct sound of the guitar.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
Thanks for the article. It's well-written and helps me understand what a reverb is and how it works, but I'd like to know specifically how to use it (i.e. on vocals).

I assumed this would be in the 'next step: applying reverb' section but I haven't found any such article. I need help because whenever I add reverb as an insert, it destroys the original sound and makes everything quiet. I think I'm supposed to use reverb as a send effect but I'm not sure how it works.

Is it the same for delays? Can someone help me? Thx.
When using an insert you have to control the sound vs reverb with the dry / wet knob.
This way you can add the amount of reverb to your track

Using send the reverb is set to the Wet 100% and is fed back to the mix via another channel.
The amount is controlled by the new track fader and is often used to reverb to a group of channels where insert is been used for one track/ instrument online

Edit: same for delays

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 12/19/2014 at 05:06:01 ]

Quote:
Using send the reverb is set to the Wet 100% and is fed back to the mix via another channel.
The amount is controlled by the new track fader and is often used to reverb to a group of channels where insert is been used for one track/ instrument online

Exactly. What's more, it's much more efficient from a CPU standpoint to have only one instance of the plug-in open on an aux track, rather than to have a number of individual instances open on audio tracks. This is particularly true with reverbs, which tend to be CPU hogs.
:-D
Oh i keep forgetting that ( plugins)

Then let me add that it's name depends on the program.

Cubase: group channel or effects channel
Protools: aux channels or group channels
Mixbus: mixbus channels or group channels

All these are used to add delay/reverb and effects to multiple tracks by using the send option.

The source channels will be send to an ( aux,group,mixbus) channel.
The aux,group or mixbus channel gets the effect plugin.
Both the source channel as the effect channel are send to the "main" channel or bus for further processing or recording.

Aren't the wonders of the digital age delightful?

[ Post last edited on 12/25/2014 at 01:42:50 ]

How is it organized on Presonus Studio One 2? Thanks :lol:

happy holidays everyone! jam safely!
Presonus -> Bus channels... :-D