Create an account

or

Thread Comments about the feature article: Hybrid Mixing from Down Under

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Comments about the feature article: Hybrid Mixing from Down Under
Hybrid Mixing from Down Under
“I've always mixed people's records,” Klaus Hill says, “it's just something I've always been very good at.” In the eleven years since he moved from England, Hill has established himself as one of the top mixing and mastering engineers on the Australian dance music scene.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
Quote:
There's no dynamics. They're gone as soon as you get over -8 RMS. The reason that's come about is not because of how it sounds in clubs, but it's the way the kids buy their music now.

Very interesting article which contrasts with Sleepless about loudness war :lol:
Quote:
Very interesting article which contrasts with Sleepless about loudness war :lol:

Good observation. There's no doubt a lot of subjectivity involved in determining where one draws the line in terms of what is overcompressed and what isn't. In dance music, which Hill is talking about, there's certainly less concern about dynamics, and more emphasis on being loud.
Quote:
In dance music, which Hill is talking about, there's certainly less concern about dynamics, and more emphasis on being loud

I couldn't agree more. This is also what I've learned with a professional mastering engineer.
Depends on the styles you work on and also you don't treat them the same way due to the type of diffusions (radios, clubs, cds) they will be heard.

And 99% of the time, people prefer the louder version. However, I find these articles very entertaining and I love reading the way those guys think and practise their art. Pretty cool.

Thx a lot :bravo:
You're welcome! We'll have more interviews in the near future.