or
Create an account

or

Thread What musicians should I listen to in order to improve my synth skills?

• 3 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 What musicians should I listen to in order to improve my synth skills?
Hello, I apologies if my english is not very good, it is not my native language.

I have a synth since a few months, but I am not very inspired by the sounds I use. Is there particular musicians for listening that have especially good synth players? And also is there particular site to help me with getting a best sound? thanks
Several great synth players out there to listen to. However, just listening to synth music won't improve your playing or programming ability. It could very well inspire you, but won't improve your skill unless you pair the listening with regular practice (the more the better).

So what I would recommend is to practice like crazy. And regarding programming your synth, listening to musicians nor practicing their songs will help you one bit! You should instead do some instructional reading on how to program your own patches and sounds. Here's a good link (though it may be a bit too advanced for you at this stage), but simple google searches should help you out otherwise

http://tweakheadz.com/programmer/
FSOL - mostly samples but you'll get the idea.

Skinny Puppy/ Download. Anything they brap it's gold.

Underworld. Lots of Underworld.

Front 242 of course.

Go back and hear Jarre, Wendy Carlos, Giorgio, Nick Rhodes in Duran Duran...
Quote:
Go back and hear Jarre, Wendy Carlos, Giorgio, Nick Rhodes in Duran Duran...

Good suggestions. And of course, Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman. And don't forget jazz guys like Joe Zawinul and Herbie Hancock.