Create an account

or

Thread Comments about the feature article: Video: Taylor Factory Tour

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Comments about the feature article: Video: Taylor Factory Tour
Video: Taylor Factory Tour
Audiofanzine recently visited the Taylor Guitars complex in El Cajon, California, and we shot a lot of footage during a tour of the factory. We put together this video to give you an up close look at Taylor's guitar building process.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
very cool !
I remember reading about Taylor and how they have a monstrous share of the Ebony market, making it next to impossible to buy ebony elsewhere.

Bob Taylor was discussing woods and how he decided to purchase an ebony mill because back in the day workers were saying that they had to cut down 10 ebony trees before finding one that was solid black all the way through, which were the only ones that would be bought. So 9 trees went down the drain for nothing, which helps explain why ebony is so endangered.

Bob Taylor decided, since speckled or pure ebony had no effect on the sound and was strictly aesthetic, he would buy the mill and effectively force the market to use speckled ebony, as ebony was already extremely endangered. And that's exactly what he did. I think that's realllllly fucking awesome!

I don't remember where I saw the video originally, but here's an LA times article about it. Just another reason to choose Team Taylor over Team Martin :mdr:
Quote:
Bob Taylor decided, since speckled or pure ebony had no effect on the sound and was strictly aesthetic, he would buy the mill and effectively force the market to use speckled ebony, as ebony was already extremely endangered. And that's exactly what he did. I think that's realllllly fucking awesome!

Agreed. In fact, during the tour, the Taylor folks emphasized to us that they use Ebony of many different shades and looks. I wish more companies — in all areas of manufacturing — would be as environmentally conscious as Taylor is.