or
Create an account

or

Thread Best tube amp (new or used) for under $500?

• 5 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Best tube amp (new or used) for under $500?
Sounds silly, I know, but even used, I'd really like to get some suggestions from experienced guitar players as to which tube amps to consider within this budget.

Until now, I've mostly dabbled with modeling amplifiers. Now I'm finally understanding, noticing, and placing more importance on creating my own tone, which is why I think it's time to go tube.

I'm not planning on huge gigs (nothing more than open mic nights and crowds of less than 30 people), but would also like something that I can use at my place in low volumes (I live in an apartment with relatively thin walls) where the overall tone quality or distortion does not seem diminished at low volumes.

Please help, thanks
You should look at low-wattage tube amps from manufacturers such as Blackstar, Hughes & Kettner and Vox. A low-wattage amp would probably be fine for an open mic night (as long as you're not playing with a drummer), and would be good for your apartment. You can definitely find quite a few models for under $500.

[ Post last edited on 04/14/2015 at 10:00:47 ]

Thanks Mike,

For now, I'm playing with some friends and we'll have a drum track playing in the background. In the future, it would be great to have something that can stand up to drums in a small venue. Is this a pipe dream (for under $500), even used?

Here are a few suggestions...all of which have generally great reviews.

Fender Blues Jr. 15W Amp (Used: $250-400)
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-hot-rod-series-blues-junior-iii-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp
I personally own a Blues Jr. that I bought for $250 used and had to fix it up. But you can easily find them used on GuitarCenter.com or Ebay.com for $400 or less. It really is a solid choice for rock and blues guitarists, even though it has its own limitations like any budget amp.

Vox AC4C1-12 4W Amp (New: $350, Used: $200-300)
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-ac4c1-12-1x12-classic-limited-edition-tube-guitar-combo-amp
You may wonder if 4W of tube power would be too weak to play in a live venue with a full band. That may be true if you're playing a large stadium, but not so in a small bar/club/venue. This Vox only has 4W of tube-driven power, but it can get plenty loud, (especially if you can get an SM57 or SM58 microphone on the speaker cabinet and run that through the main sound system). If you're concerned about being able to play clean and distorted tones at higher volumes, though, you may want a higher wattage amp. The main limitation to this amp is that the low wattage makes it break-up sooner, so higher volumes will be mostly overdriven, and you'll have to turn down your guitar's volume knob to get semi-cleaner tones. When it comes down to it, the advertised wattage listed for any tube amp has more to do with it's "clean headroom" than its overall volume capabilities. That's why people like low-wattage tube amps for studios and bedroom practicing…so they can get tube distortion at lower volumes.

Bugera V22 1x12 22W Amp (New: $380, Used: $200-350)
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-v22-22w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp
I personally know several people who love Bugera amps, because they also offer a lot of value for the money. On top of the fact that this amp has 22W of tube power (plenty of headroom for clean or distorted tones at high volumes), it also offers a lot of versatility. From what I've heard, they tend to sound a bit brighter, but you can adjust the brightness to personal taste with the right control adjustment. It also has some nice options on the back too: an effects loop so your pedals can be played through the amp after your guitar signal hits the preamp; an option for a channel footswitch; and an output for plugging into another speaker cabinet for more volume (plus a 3-way ohms selector switch, making it compatible with virtually any extension cabinet). The main set back for this amp is that its the biggest one I've mentioned so far, so it's going to be less convenient to travel with.

Blackstar Venue Series HT Club40 40W Amp (Used: $350-500)
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/blackstar-venue-series-ht-club-40-40w-tube-guitar-combo-amp
This amp is a little higher in your budget range, but Blackstar amps are a popular name in the high-wattage distortion world. You will likely need to find it used if you want to pay less than $500. I have never personally used one (not my style) but they seem to have great reviews across the board. But just so you know, if you go with an amp designed for hi-watt distortion like a Blackstar, you often compromise in clean tone quality. A Blackstar amp will probably not give you the bright, crystal-clear clean tones like a Fender or Vox, but it will give you beefy, powerful distorted tones for heavy rock riffing. It's really a matter of what sound your prefer as a musician.

Vox AC15C1-12 (Used: $400-$500, if you look around)
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-ac15c1x-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp?rNtt=vox%20ac15c1&index=2
I'll quickly mention this one, just because it's a standard in the world of guitar tube-amps. You will not find a Vox AC15 brand new for $500 or less… but you may be able to find a used one in good condition if you look around long enough. (GuitarCenter.com often has a lot of good used deals on all kinds of tube amps). This is virtually the same amplifier as the Vox AC4C1-12 (mentioned earlier), but it just comes in a bigger package and has higher wattage--thus making it capable of playing both clean and distorted tones at higher volumes. But one thing to note before purchasing any Vox tube amps… try it before you buy it. When it comes to Vox, I've come to learn that you either love them or hate them. Vox amps have a very distinct sound that's unique to their brand. So I would try one out before you decide if its the right one for you or not.

The truth is, there are a lot of great amps out there, and you really don't have to pay that much money to get a quality tube amp (especially if you're willing to buy used gear, like I am). I would look up your nearest music equipment dealers and take your guitar with you to play through as many different amps as you can before making your decision (even ones I have not included here). If you're patient and look around long enough in the right places on the Internet, you can find some really great new and used deals.

-Aaron
Very solid advice, Aaron.

I'm thinking of going for a tubemeister 18 combo. Hard to find the 10s these days (which would've stayed near the $500 budget), and a 12 inch cab seems to do the trick a bit better, but those are a bit more expensive.

Anyone else ever use a tubemeister 18? I love how it sounds from what I've seen, but I've heard the Blackstar HT20 might be better? Any thoughts?

-Rich
Aaron — Thanks for your informative and thorough post!:bravo: