or
Create an account

or
Enlarge
Actu
Articles
Tutorials
Classified Ads
1 USING FOCUSRITE 6I6, TRYING TO TRANSFER 4 TRACKS FROM FOSTEX XR3 MULITRACK USING LOGIC PRO X
I am hoping someone on here will have the knowledge I seek. I want to restore/remix tracks recording many moons ago on a 4 track multi track recorder (analogue). My setup I use Logic Pro X as my DAW, Focusrite 6i6 as my audio interface and an old Fostex XR3 to play 4 track tape. I have managed to transfer some audio but not all tracks seem to come across successfully. Has anyone else undertaken this and been successful. Most grateful for any advice. :)
Hi,

Why don't they come out so good?
What kind of problems do you have?

Normally I leave my music on the analog tape but once in a while I have to transfer my tascam 24 open reel into the digital domain

The biggest problem I had was matching the impedances. Once solved I never had much problems while transferring it.

It just sounds great!

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 10/12/2016 at 09:55:32 ]

Thanks for reply Angelie, yes impedance is the main issue, noticeable volume imbalance between front and back inputs. I am trying to transfer older projects into Logic Pro X from analogue 4 track . How do you manage to balance inputs?
Hi Julia,

Sorry to hear of the issues and apologies for the delay in my post as I thought I responded previously but the post seemingly did not post.

When connecting your Analog 4 track machine to the Scarlett you will most likely need to apply some make up gain for the unbalanced output of the 4track machine as it is -10dBV. Since the inputs on the front have a adjustable gain knob those will be ideal to use as the rear inputs are fixed.

Since the Output Impedance of the Foster is lower than the Input Impedance of the Scarlett that should not be an issue.

I hope this helps offer some clarity.

Best regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support
Thank you I'll give that a try :)
Hi

Sorry I missed your reply.

I'm not quite sure but I believe they added some transformers to each output which change the impedance but I can be wrong....

It has been a long time ago since they made the modification.

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...