1/363
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

Thread Focusrite 6i6 Gen1 - Latency Issue

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 1 follower
1 Focusrite 6i6 Gen1 - Latency Issue
Hello there!

I've just recently upgraded my computer and made some investments into upgrading software as well in hopes of getting better performance whilst working on audio projects.

My current set-up

Pro Tools 2019.6.0
Focusrite 6i6 Gen 1 (Driver 4.63.23-563) (Firmware 608.)
Windows 10 Professional
Intel i9 9900k
Corsair 32GB (2x16gb) DDR4 3000mhz Memory
Nvidia 2070
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Motherboard
Samsung 860 Evil 1TB
Samsung 830 240GB
Seagate 2TB HDD

No components are overclocked. I run the Samsung 1TB SSD as my main apps drive, the 240GB SSD is where I run my projects from and the 2TB HDD is where I backup all my data to. I've also followed the focusrite guide to optimising Windows 10 for audio.

Unfortunately it has become obvious that I am getting fairly bad latency or input lag when recording. I've tested this out with latency settings from as high as 1024 all the way down to 32. My computer seems to be capable of recording at very low latency but for some reason it almost feels like changing the latency has little to no effect.

I've tested out changing the latency in Pro Tools or using the focusrite tray application but neither seems to have any effect. I can see that the Focusrite software / drivers are doing something when I change the latency settings as the audio tray icon goes red for a moment while it makes changes so something is definitely happening. I've tested this using a guitar (instrument cable in channel 1) and a mic (xlr in input 2) as well as my Roland A-500 USB midi keyboard which seems to have the same problem.

What's strange is I never seemed to have this issue previously with my older computer (i7 3820 / 16gb DDR 3). I remember struggling to run latency settings lower than 256 but even 256 was more than do-able.

With '32' selected I was expecting it to feel like there is almost no latency whatsoever but it sounds like there is a good half a second delay.

I'd be very grateful if anybody could offer me any advice on how to troubleshoot the problem.

Kind regards,

[ Post last edited on 08/16/2019 at 00:58:10 ]