Focusrite Scarlett Solo

Thread Crackling Noises Scarlett Solo / Windows 7 64bit

• 37 replies
  • 22 participants
  • 22 followers
1 Crackling Noises Scarlett Solo / Windows 7 64bit
Hey Folks,first cheers from Germany.
yesterday i received my Scarlatt Solo.
Well,Driver from official Page,install,input, Windows says everythings fine,Solo accepted.
But i got crackling Noises all the Time. With a normal audio Player,YT Vids, Cubase,etc.
Even if i Change the Buffer/Samplerate etc in Cubase. Same...
And i cant change the USB Performance Mode. Its allways on Mixing.
Its getting me Mad...Even tried another Asio (Asio4All) Noting...
Anyone with same problems?
Let me know if u got a Solution.
Cheers,Sebastian
Show first post
Hello Simon,

You're doing a great job by providing technical assistance. Anyways I recently bought a scarlett solo. I own an hp pavilion g6. I tried everything but I can't get rid of the cracking noises. Even installed the 2.5 drivers. Apparently the direct monitoring seems to be working fine. Really hope you'll find a solution for this.
Hello Simon,

You're doing a great job by providing technical assistance. Anyways I recently bought a scarlett solo. I own an hp pavilion g6. I tried everything but I can't get rid of the cracking noises. Even installed the 2.5 drivers. Apparently the direct monitoring seems to be working fine. Really hope you'll find a solution for this.
P.s I'm using windows 10.
Good morning,

For the Scarlett Solo to work on Windows 10, please uninstall the previous drivers you have installed.
Once finished, please install the following beta drivers as outlined in our Windows 10 compatibility article:

http://beta.focusrite.com/file.php?id=1196

To ensure that Windows as assigned the correct driver, please navigate to Control Panel -> Device Manager -> right-click on interface in Sound, Video & Game Controllers -> Properties -> Driver -> Driver version should list as 3.2.2

If the issues continue, please can you let me know if the noise is across all playback, so from iTunes/Youtube etc or just your DAW?

Please follow these steps (Windows 8 steps should be fine for Windows 10, although we are reviewing this currently):
https://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/optimising-your-pc-for-audio-on-windows-8

Have you tried another USB port? Some are internally hubbed and can cause issues. Please try each one and monitor the performance of the interface.

Please ensure you have disabled power saving mode for USB devices:

In the device manager (Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager), in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section, right click each USB Root Hub, choose Properties > Power Management and untick the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.

USB Power

If using a Laptop, it could also be worth checking the general power management of your computer:
Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options.
Set the Power Scheme to High Performance (if this setting is not available, click on Show additional plans first). Then click on Change plan settings. On the next page set both Turn off the display and Put the computer to sleep to Never.

Power Options

Then click Change advanced power settings. In the window that opens make sure you have the following settings:
Hard disc > Turn off hard disk after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Sleep > Sleep after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > Setting = Disabled
Display > Turn off display after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Processor power management > Minimum processor state > Setting = 100%
Processor power management > Maximum processor state > Setting = 100%

Please note, not all options may be available.

It could also be worth checking for any available USB/Chipset driver updates for your motherboard, including the latest BIOS updates.

Let me know how you get on.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Simon Sir, you are underpaid. I bought a Scarlett Solo in Feb2 2015 and have been searching Google forever for a fix. Of course it worked in the Apple system back at the Guitar Center store. And on my brother-in-law's Intel system.
And I do have an AMD Phenom ll. Soooo, I removed the drivers that came with it, rebooted and installed the 2.5.2 and it's golden now.
Godspeed to you, my friend.
Cheers.

Pete Hinkley
hi,which previous drivers i need to uninstall?? 2.5.2 or 3.1.10??? i also have crackling sound and windows 10

[ Post last edited on 02/07/2016 at 00:57:57 ]

Crackling Noises Scarlett Solo / Windows 7 64bit

Scarlett got my solo day 18.05.2016, the purchase was made 05.13.2016, and I have tried all possible drivers, reading information on various pages help and support, I did reinstall Windows 7 full, updated the USB drivers, Bios, Audio and continues crackling, I can not use, is followed crackles.

I tried every driver who is Mentioned in this page.

My PC setup: Intel Icore i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz 4.00GB RAM
Win 7 64Bits

Please help me, if I can not I will make the return and exchange it
Thanks.

Quote from Simon:
Hi guys,

With regards to this issue, it is small known problem specific to AMD chipsets, which I suspect you are both running.
We are working currently to resolve the issue, and this should be available very soon.

It is 2017 now and where is this resolve that working on? Because, running an Intel i7, constantly having this issue.

I contacted Focusrite support via their website, and I must say, service has been TERRIBLE, which is very disappointing considering how highly recommended this device came. Days will go by before they copy and paste me a solution off their website. You know.. just in case I didn't know how to use Google to find it myself. I'm days away from returning this and going with another brand.

The link above with previous driver is not valid anymore. Can someone post a new link to the old drive so I can test it out? Also, not using an AMD. Will that matter? Thanks!
Quote from Simon:
Good morning,

For the Scarlett Solo to work on Windows 10, please uninstall the previous drivers you have installed.
Once finished, please install the following beta drivers as outlined in our Windows 10 compatibility article:

http://beta.focusrite.com/file.php?id=1196

To ensure that Windows as assigned the correct driver, please navigate to Control Panel -> Device Manager -> right-click on interface in Sound, Video & Game Controllers -> Properties -> Driver -> Driver version should list as 3.2.2

If the issues continue, please can you let me know if the noise is across all playback, so from iTunes/Youtube etc or just your DAW?

Please follow these steps (Windows 8 steps should be fine for Windows 10, although we are reviewing this currently):
https://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/optimising-your-pc-for-audio-on-windows-8

Have you tried another USB port? Some are internally hubbed and can cause issues. Please try each one and monitor the performance of the interface.

Please ensure you have disabled power saving mode for USB devices:

In the device manager (Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager), in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section, right click each USB Root Hub, choose Properties > Power Management and untick the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.

USB Power

If using a Laptop, it could also be worth checking the general power management of your computer:
Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options.
Set the Power Scheme to High Performance (if this setting is not available, click on Show additional plans first). Then click on Change plan settings. On the next page set both Turn off the display and Put the computer to sleep to Never.

Power Options

Then click Change advanced power settings. In the window that opens make sure you have the following settings:
Hard disc > Turn off hard disk after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Sleep > Sleep after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > Setting = Disabled
Display > Turn off display after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Processor power management > Minimum processor state > Setting = 100%
Processor power management > Maximum processor state > Setting = 100%

Please note, not all options may be available.

It could also be worth checking for any available USB/Chipset driver updates for your motherboard, including the latest BIOS updates.

Let me know how you get on.

Didn't help.
I saw the link posted above a few times to download the old driver to stop the cracking for AMD sets. It will not let me load the page. I've checked everything to ensure that my browser will allow it to load and it still gives an error message saying it is refusing to load. I need this driver to stop my cracking noise.