Add this product to
  • My former gear
  • My current gear
  • My wishlist
Focusrite Scarlett Solo G3
Images
1/221
Focusrite Scarlett Solo G3

USB audio interface from Focusrite belonging to the Scarlett 3rd Generation series

Write a user review or Ask for a user review
Reviews
Price engine
Classified Ads

Thread Microphone gain needs to be turned up to max just to hear anything

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Microphone gain needs to be turned up to max just to hear anything
I recently bought a focusrite generation 3 solo audio interface and am having some difficulties with the microphone setup. I am using an MXL 770 microphone with a HOSA 10 foot XLR cable and some Audiotechnica MX30's for output and direct monitoring. I also have an electric piano that I plugged into the same XLR port on my focusrite using a 1/4" to XLR cord and the audio level seemed fine. When I use the MXL, however, I have to put the gain to near max just to hear or record anything. After browsing focusrite's own forums, this doesn't seem like it should be the case. Do I have a faulty microphone or XLR cable? This is my first setup so I am unsure what I should test or replace next. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I'm having the exact same issue. It it's not turned to the 3 O'Clock area on the dial it only picks up half of what I say. This is a common issue I see and the usual answer is a cop out. "Some microphones require more gain." but it's F****** ridiculous that I need it cranked just to be heard because I can't turn up Gain when I need more gain.

I'm using a StellarX2 Vintage. It's not a cheap microphone. The audio cable is brand new. The Solo is the only factor because my Behringer interface doesn't need even half the gain on the dial to hear me fine.
Your MXL microphone is a condenser type microphone and requires Phantom power (+48 volts DC power). Make sure that you have the "48V" button turned on.
4286894.png
If you already have the 48V button enabled, It is likely that you could have a faulty XLR cable, but it could be the microphone or other things as well. To eliminate the variables and narrow it down to what is faulty, you need to do some testing. Since you have already proven that the Focusrite input that your using works and has enough signal/volume (from plugging in your keyboard), then you can test some other things. The cheapest option is to borrow a non-condenser microphone and an XLR cable from someone. If you can't borrow, then just buy a new XLR cable. Plugin the borrowed/purchased XLR cable to the same input you are testing and connect it to your MXL microphone (with the 48V enabled), and see if there is any difference. If there is, you XLR cable is bad and you can replace it. If the signal/volume is still low, then try disconnecting your MXL microphone and connecting the borrowed microphone. If it works and has good signal/volume, it could be your MXL microphone. You could also take your MXL microphone and your XLR cable to someone with experience, or to a music store, and ask them to test the cable and the microphone for you. Good luck, and report back what you find out. What you find out and report back, could help someone else!