or
Create an account

or

Thread Microphone and Interface Help

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Microphone and Interface Help
So I am finally getting around to setting up a simple home recording area.
I have about a 700-900 dollar budget and have come up with a couple options but I need help with microphones. I am looking for a mic that works well with my voice (good low and mid range, nice and warm, not too tinny) and also can record acoustic guitar well.

One option is to spend more of the money to get a better condenser mic, or it was even recommened to me to try out a shure ksm9 hanheld condenser mic because of how versatile and warm it is live or in studio. then the rest of the money can be spent on an affordable interface like fasttrack pro or fast track ultra. with that and a nice cable it would be around 800 or so.

the second option is that i could buy the apogee duet which i hear very good things about. the pres in it should be really outstanding for sound quality. i fear it wont be used to its potential because i wont be upgrading my recording software for awhile and will probably just be using garage band. with that interface id also only be able to afford a 200-300 dollar condenser mic.

which option is better? what other options should i consider? should i spend more on the mic or more on the interface or more balanced or what? what are some nice condenser mics in the 500 dollar range?

thanks so much. hope my first post wasnt too long.
Hey!

Well - first I would recommend to consider the mic you're buying a recording mic. That being said in my opiniton it makes sense to spend a little more money on a microphone as you will be using it for a while. Try out some large diaphragm models by Rode and Audio Tecnica. AGK C3000 is also very good for instruments (maybe a little sharp on the vocals).
As for the interface - yes for the money M-Audio is really the best choice. They are very good sounding (very clean) and have a good overall quality...just check out the two tests of their interfaces on Audiofanzine.

Hope this helps

:clin:
Thanks a lot phraseland. i could still use some input from someone who has used the ksm9 in a recording situation. im glad you like the maudio interfaces so much. i do too. i hear great things from the apogee duet though. any other thoughts from anyone?
Hello!

I'm currently working with a friend of mine in his studio. I just purchased an MXL 4000 Multi-Pattern FET Studio Condenser Microphone. I haven't used it yet but, I've done a lot of research online before making this purchase. The reviewers seemed quit impressed so, I went ahead and bought one. I should receive it by Monday the 22nd. If you'd like I can let you know how that works out. I'm a vocalist and I know how important it is to have a quality studio mic.

Anyway, here is a link to view the specs. on the mic. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-4000-MultiPattern-FET-Studio-Condenser-Mic?sku=270624&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=128866059

Good luck on the studio. :clin: