• My current gear
  • My wishlist
Tannoy Reveal 402
Images
1/333
Tannoy Reveal 402

Active Monitor from Tannoy belonging to the Reveal series

Write a user review or Ask for a user review

Thread which monitors are better, tannoy reveal 402 or m-audio studophile av 40?

• 8 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 which monitors are better, tannoy reveal 402 or m-audio studophile av 40?
i am buying monitors for my home studio and i am confused between these two monitors.i will be mainly producin edm. thanks
While I haven't used both to offer an in-depth comparison, in general I think tannoy's monitors are fantastic for any application, and by reputation alone I would, without question, choose the Reveal 402 over the AV 40

Plus, the AV 40's frequency response looks a little all over the place

baboo.png

Master mixer, messy master-er

Well you can't juge a speaker by the frequency chart. Every speaker responses differently in different rooms. I know rooms where even the "best" speakers sound terrible. Your room and the speakers work together to create "that" sound.

Advice here is go to the store and ask if you can have both for a testdrive. Connect both. keep switching and listening

Hearing is believing

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 03/05/2015 at 13:17:25 ]

If you're going to be doing EDM, perhaps you should look into a speaker with a larger driver (8" if possible) so that you can hear the bass frequencies more fully. For EDM that's pretty important.
Quote from angelie:
Well you can't juge a speaker by the frequency chart. Every speaker responses differently in different rooms. I know rooms where even the "best" speakers sound terrible. Your room and the speakers work together to create "that" sound.

Advice here is go to the store and ask if you can have both for a testdrive. Connect both. keep switching and listening

Hearing is believing

- Angelie

Obviously the room affects how different monitors will perform, and a decision shouldn't be made entirely based on the frequency chart. But for EDM, for example, where the low-end is arguably more important than in other genres, then a monitor with a frequency chart that shows a stronger low end response will probably (not definitely, but probably) be better than an equal-value monitor with a weak low end.

Also, while room affects monitors tremendously, it's likely that a shitty room will make both monitors sound worse, so even in a room with sub-optimal acoustics, I would take the Tannoy's over the M-Audios if they're at the same price point.

However, as Angelie said, hearing is believing. I prefer the sound of my $300 Ibanez acoustic over some $900 darker Martins, and with monitors it's no different. A lot of it is subjective, so to make a subjective decision it's best to take gear out for a test-drive.

In any case, I will say this: even if the monitors you decide to purchase aren't the best, you will eventually learn to adapt to your monitors and improve your mixes, regardless. Say, for example, you get cheap monitors that inaccurately reproduce the frequencies that you're mixing. After testing your mixes in the car, on a cd, in cheap computer speakers, etc, you will eventually know what to do from a mixing perspective, even if those very decisions are the OPPOSITE of what you should do on accurate, high-end monitors that properly reproduce the sounds.

Sorry for rambling but in short, when it comes to mixing, practicing is IMHO more important than starting off will all the higher end gear.

Master mixer, messy master-er

Well in short we can reply....
" Amen "... :-D

[ Post last edited on 03/08/2015 at 23:26:50 ]

the problem is that there are no stores nearby that sell studio monitors, so i cant listen to them before buying. also none of my friends have studio monitors(they all produce with those shitty pc speakers).i have two different sized rooms that i can convert into studio and i will also be doing some acouatic treatment, so if i can get my hands on some good monitors i should be able to get the most out of them.i will be buying the monitors online with international shipping,and my budget is around $250 so if u know of any good monitors in that range u can suggest me!
Well i don't know how they both sound and look like, so i just took a visit at google.

At first they look a- like and i would never buy speakers without listening to them but there is one which screams "hello"

The m-audio has a bass vent on the back.
I would never buy a speaker with the bass vent on the back.

If you have absorbers on the wall behind the speakers you will lose a lot of power in the lower region

If your room hasn't absorbers on the rear wall the bass vent on the back will produce "extra" coloring due standing waves in the corners or wall/rear side of the speaker.

So basicly if i had to buy a speaker and had to choose between tannoy and m-audio without listening and looking at the design. It whould be Tannoy.

[ Post last edited on 03/08/2015 at 23:50:04 ]

thanks angelie!!