Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Understanding Frequency Response

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 2 followers
1 [Getting started] Understanding Frequency Response
Understanding Frequency Response
Throughout the relatively short lifetime of PA systems, both manufacturers and users have thought about ways to evaluate the performance of a system as objectively as possible.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
So the question is: how do you choose monitors for your room? I don't live near any metropolitan center where I can pick up a set of monitors, bring them home, try them out for a while, and then return them if they're not to my liking. Perhaps what it comes down to is learning to hear what your monitors actually put out and then "dance with the one that brought you."

I've seen EQ correction systems advertised for your monitor, but I wonder how good are they really? Have any of your readers tried these? What if your room isn't treated? I'm sure many of these questions will be answered eventually, but choosing monitors for my room have been a long source of frustration. Hopefully this article series will address some of those frustrations.
Quote:
I've seen EQ correction systems advertised for your monitor, but I wonder how good are they really? Have any of your readers tried these? What if your room isn't treated? I'm sure many of these questions will be answered eventually, but choosing monitors for my room have been a long source of frustration. Hopefully this article series will address some of those frustrations.

I've tried one of the EQ correction systems (ARC system 1), and wasn't overly impressed. To be fair, that system, and others, have progressed since then, so they may be more effective.)
I would say the best chance you have is to read a lot of reviews, do a lot of research, and buy what you decide are the best quality monitors that fit in your budget. After that, yes, getting used to how they sound in your room is important. If you don't have it yet, I would highly recommend you invest in SampleMagic's Magic AB v2 plug-in (I just reviewed it: https://en.audiofanzine.com/misc-music-software/sample-magic/magic-ab-version-2/editorial/reviews/a-b-ing-just-got-easier.html), because that will let you easily compare your mixes with those from any recording, which is useful for figuring out how your room acoustics are affecting your mixes. Of course, if it's in your budget to get your room acoustically treated, that's typically the best solution.